Thread poster: James Calder

James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2003

Clients often expect us to work weekends (at no extra charge) to have that \'urgent\' document ready for Monday morning. Although relatively new to translation, I\'ve found that this is a fairly common occurrence. Personally speaking, I cherish my Saturdays and Sundays and although I love what I do, I need to get away from the computer occasionally to spend time with family and friends and preserve my sanity. I would just like to know whether other freelancers apply a \'weekend rate\' and what their views are on weekend working.

Direct link Reply with quote

Planogroup
Greece
Local time: 02:11
English to Greek
+ ...
Welcome to the cruel world of freelance translation! Feb 21, 2003

Although what you claim is absolutely normal and sane, unfortunately the cruel world of freelance translation might force you to change your mind and sacrifice some of your precious weekend/holiday time.

If you depend on translation for a living, you will find that competition is often intense and clients might turn elsewhere in order to have their translation on the specified deadline. Not to mention that they may even expect you to work on weekends ON THE SAME RATE.

Even worse, the latest trend - as stated in various forum postings recently - is clients even asking freelancers to lower their rates (I guess this has to do with the gloomy global financial situation).

Of course, depending on your personal situation, you may set your priorities. \"You lose something to win something\", in this case you lose a job to win some relaxing and happy moments with family and friends (which we all need in our lives). You may also consider taking the job, lose the weekend and then refrain from accepting another job for a couple of days to re-charge your batteries.

In any case, thank you for reminding us that there is so much more to life than 24h/7days a week work!

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
Italian to English
+ ...
It all balances out... Feb 21, 2003

I don\'t charge a different rate for weekend work. My take on it is that it all balances out. So I have to work some weekends. Some I don\'t. That goes for mid-week days as well (which, if I need to run errands or attend to other things, is really a blessing, since I don\'t have to deal with weekend crowds).

You could also look at it as running your own business... I don\'t know a SINGLE person that runs his/her own business that puts in a 40 hour week. You do what you have to do to make your business grow, and sometimes that means working non-standard hours.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-02-21 14:25, Planogroup wrote:

Although what you claim is absolutely normal and sane, unfortunately the cruel world of freelance translation might force you to change your mind and sacrifice some of your precious weekend/holiday time.

If you depend on translation for a living, you will find that competition is often intense and clients might turn elsewhere in order to have their translation on the specified deadline. Not to mention that they may even expect you to work on weekends ON THE SAME RATE.

Momichi
Local time: 18:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Haven't had a 'totally' free weekend in years Feb 21, 2003

I am a freelance translator, and since I started weekends are, for me, the most productive days. That\'s because I work through the week too in a part-time position, so I work very little in the afternoons (sitting in front of the computer is torture to my derriére if you know what I mean).

Hence, in the weekends I devote to the freelance work, and has been so since I started.

My dad is also a freelance translator, and also works mostly on weekends, since he also administrates an apartment building.

My best friend is a freelance translator, and he also is an in-house translator during the week, so he also has to sacrifice his weekends.

Just so you know. But it\'s a nice life. I like it.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Used to work on weekends in the past... Feb 23, 2003

but unless I can outfarm the translation to someone else, I usually do not work during the weekend. There reason being that you have to keep up and enhance your knowledge and skills to be able to compete and ask a higher rate. How else can you get a good grasp of localisation, software en dtp-packages or attend extra-courses at a university and gain skills which can earn as much as a translator and put you in a position to say \"no\" to a low-rated offer.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:11
German to English
+ ...
Weekend rates Feb 24, 2003

The only time I charge \"weekend rates\" is when a job comes in on Friday afternoon and is due on Monday morning!

Osman Osman
Egypt
Local time: 02:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
reality says the last word Feb 26, 2003

Quote:

If you want a realistic answer, it all depends on the status of your budget. If you have an urgent need you will work 48 hours a day if you can. If you are in an acceptable status, then, and only then,you\'ll have the opportunity to take decistions.

However, to be more realistic, if you give yourself some time off, you\'ll be more productive.

As for the weekend rate, it also depends on how much work you currently have.

Am i exagerating?

Brian KEEGAN
Local time: 01:11
French to English
+ ...
I charge 150% Feb 26, 2003

... 150% of my normal fee for weekend work. Usually the client says no, it can wait till Wednesday, and I get the job anyway. As for reducing fees for volume, I never do that for agencies (for direct clients sometimes). Agencies often claim they have had to reduce their fee to win the tender, but my answer is \"That\'s your strategic decision, if you are prepared to reduce your margin to win a job. You\'re contacting me to do the translation; I am not bidding to do it. Your volume as an agency is not constrained by the number of words you can type in a day, so you can make back your margin sacrifice by gaining more business.\" That also usually works.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The Margin Feb 26, 2003

In my view, the margin of agencies is justified because they are looking for the customer, manage the project, do the dpt and revision and final lay-out. Most of them will always find an excuse to squeeze out something more of the freelancer.

The freelancer translates to the best of his and her abilities. All the rest constitutes extra service to an agency.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Weekend overcharge Feb 26, 2003

I charge 100% of my normal fee for weekend work. Bear in mind this is on top of the high rates clients already pay me.

Charging extra or not of course also depends on whether or not you need to work 24/7, which is the downside of accepting low rates.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-26 18:32]

xxxntouzet  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
English to French
+ ...
No two situations are alike Feb 26, 2003

I usually don\'t apply \'weekend rates\' because I don\'t have to. Most of the time, if I have to work on a Saturday or a Sunday, it means that I\'ve organised the previous days differently and I have to catch up.

If it\'s a short last-minute project, the client is aware that he/she is asking for a special favour and I can charge extra. But generally I prefer to beg for a deadline extended by a couple of hours...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weekends

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search