Off topic: Strange email asking for a quote - anybody else received it?
Thread poster: juvera

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:26
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 29, 2007

Has anybody received an email in the last few days via their ProZ profile asking for a quote for the translation of a document between 10-50 pages (depending on cost), from English into some other language?

The email I received is from a large city in the US, although the writer doesn't say so. I am reluctant to write about it in detail, but if there are other recipients, this sentence may jog their memory:

"I had to leave everything behind, my home, my friends, my family, my belongings, everything - in exchange for my life."

It would put my mind at ease to know, if this letter was sent to a number of people without discrimination, or to just a few, for a genuine quote.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-30 15:09]

Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:26
English to Italian
+ ...
did not receive it Dec 30, 2007

but doesn't sound so real. Maybe that's SPAM

[Modificato alle 2007-12-30 10:39]

seraalice  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:26
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Don´t think about it Dec 30, 2007

It really sounds strange.

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:26
Swedish to English
+ ...
Rings a bell Dec 30, 2007

juvera wrote:

"I had to leave everything behind, my home, my friends, my family, my belongings, everything - in exchange for my life."

This line rings a bell, think there was a thread a few days ago. And yes - this had been sent to a number of people.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange email asking for a quote - anybody else received it?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search