https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/9340-extra_fee_for_final_correction_of_your_own_work.html

extra fee for final correction of your own work?
Thread poster: lauren herme (X)
lauren herme (X)
lauren herme (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

Hi everyone,

I\'m working on the translation of a book for an editorial here in Barcelona and the translated version will be published in a publishing house in New York. The publishing house in New York wants a final correction of the book to be made and the editorial here wants me to make the final correction. Do I charge an extra fee for this extra round of correction?

Lauren Hermele

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:51
French to Spanish
+ ...
Hola, Lauren. Mar 11, 2003

Creo que es responsabilidad del traductor garantizar un trabajo al 100 %. Lo que yo hago en lo personal es, de preferencia, que un colega mío de total confianza revise a fondo mi trabajo. Lo que uno hace SIEMPRE nos parece perfecto, y por desgracia no lo es. A ese colega, por supuesto, debo pagarle por su trabajo. En resumen, creo que al cliente debiste haberle incluido en tu precio la mencionada revisión final, y si no lo hiciste, pues... que en esta ocasión corra por tu cuenta. No, no creo ... See more
Creo que es responsabilidad del traductor garantizar un trabajo al 100 %. Lo que yo hago en lo personal es, de preferencia, que un colega mío de total confianza revise a fondo mi trabajo. Lo que uno hace SIEMPRE nos parece perfecto, y por desgracia no lo es. A ese colega, por supuesto, debo pagarle por su trabajo. En resumen, creo que al cliente debiste haberle incluido en tu precio la mencionada revisión final, y si no lo hiciste, pues... que en esta ocasión corra por tu cuenta. No, no creo que debas cobrarle un extra por algo que se supone viene incluido.

Fins ara. Petons.

Juan Jacob.
Collapse

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:51
French to English
No extra charge Mar 11, 2003

My Spanish is negligible, but I think I am in agreement with Juan Jacob: a translator should undertake full responsibility for his/her translation, all the way to the end, at no additional cost. I recently completed translation of a 500-page textbook, and there\'s been prolonged back-and-forth with the agency and the author over terminology etc., but I figure I was properly compensated to do the job in the first place, so I should see it through to the end. I also don\'t want someone else makin... See more
My Spanish is negligible, but I think I am in agreement with Juan Jacob: a translator should undertake full responsibility for his/her translation, all the way to the end, at no additional cost. I recently completed translation of a 500-page textbook, and there\'s been prolonged back-and-forth with the agency and the author over terminology etc., but I figure I was properly compensated to do the job in the first place, so I should see it through to the end. I also don\'t want someone else making changes without my approval or knowledge. Maybe the problem is your original rate?Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends Mar 11, 2003

If the publishing house wants you to check the final copy prepared by their own typesetters (i.e. a text different from the one you actually submitted), then charging an extra fee would be ok.

If, on the other hand, they want you to include changes or revisions in your own text, then that\'s part of the price you already quoted.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
is this the document you delivered? Mar 11, 2003

I never charge for questions that may come up regarding my work as I originally delivered it. And I agree when you work for a direct client, you should have your work reviewed by a colleague before you turn it in. I consider that basic \"customer service\"

However, if any third parties have introduced any changes to the document (be it terminology or format), I will consider it a new project and charge accordi
... See more
I never charge for questions that may come up regarding my work as I originally delivered it. And I agree when you work for a direct client, you should have your work reviewed by a colleague before you turn it in. I consider that basic \"customer service\"

However, if any third parties have introduced any changes to the document (be it terminology or format), I will consider it a new project and charge accordingly.

Good luck!

S.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-12 01:43]
Collapse

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 14:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Juan Jacob & Guy Mar 12, 2003

Even though we think our translation are the best and we have done our best, there is always that need to be corrected or put in a better way. I myself have an editor who edits and proofread my work (and she is a terrific editor and translator), and let me tell you she amazes me with her work. So, I think that this time you shouldn\'t charge for the edition and proofread of the work, but you have it on mind for the next job with this agency. As Juan suggested, have someone else edit and proofrea... See more
Even though we think our translation are the best and we have done our best, there is always that need to be corrected or put in a better way. I myself have an editor who edits and proofread my work (and she is a terrific editor and translator), and let me tell you she amazes me with her work. So, I think that this time you shouldn\'t charge for the edition and proofread of the work, but you have it on mind for the next job with this agency. As Juan suggested, have someone else edit and proofread the job and sadly you have to pay this person and it has to come out from your own pocket.

Good luck for next time,

Saludos,

Dinorah
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:51
French to Spanish
+ ...
Bueno, Lauren... Mar 12, 2003

...creo que todos los colegas concuerdan conmigo. Tienes que entregar un trabajo 100 % confiable, y ese es TU problema. Creo que debes contemplar, la próxima vez que cotices un trabajo, el costo de la revisión de tu trabajo por alguien más. Y, si además de eso, el cliente de pide otra revisión o cambios específicos, deberás \"apechugar\", como decimos en México.

Suerte, y un afectuoso saludo.

Juan Jacob.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 21:51
German to English
+ ...
There are two different types of proofing..... Mar 12, 2003

1. Proofing your own work before you send it off. This is (in my book) always the translator\'s own responsibility. No, don\'t charge extra for this.

2. Proofing the galley proofs. This involves checking the translation against the galley proofs you receive from the printers to make sure that

- everything is complete

- capitalization/hyphenation/etc. is correct

- etc.

Yes, you should charge extra for this. I generally charge by the hou
... See more
1. Proofing your own work before you send it off. This is (in my book) always the translator\'s own responsibility. No, don\'t charge extra for this.

2. Proofing the galley proofs. This involves checking the translation against the galley proofs you receive from the printers to make sure that

- everything is complete

- capitalization/hyphenation/etc. is correct

- etc.

Yes, you should charge extra for this. I generally charge by the hour.

HTH

Alison
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

extra fee for final correction of your own work?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »