Translator\'s copyright
Thread poster: Annira Silver

Annira Silver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
Finnish to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone know whether a translator can claim copyright to his/her work? This is certainly the case with literary translation. I am considering drawing up simple \'terms and conditions\' to include on my invoices. The clause \'copyright remains with the translator until this invoice is paid in full\' might deter some bad payers, but is it legal?

Annira

Direct link Reply with quote

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Previously discussed Apr 2, 2003

at http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=38410#38410

Annira Silver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:45
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry! Apr 2, 2003

Sorry for the duplication, and thanks for pointing it out, Jacek! I did try a search before my posting, but got 0 results; the facility must have been temporarily out of order, like almost everything I\'ve touched today...

So, I take it that in theory at least, the copyright is the translator\'s, and my clause is legal.

Annira

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:45
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not only legal, but also very useful Apr 2, 2003

If you sipulate that the copyright stays with you until RECEPTION of payment, when you do not receive a payment within the agreed terms you have the right to contact the final clients and deny their use of your text.

This is mostly effective, especially for web localization, where the bare suspect of copyright infringment on a hosted site should cause the host owner to black it out immediately.

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-04-02 15:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator\'s copyright

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search