Electronic Bulgarian dix, not the online or mobile-phone kind
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2008

I still need a few more European language dictionaries, including Bulgarian, in electronic format, but not the online or mobile-phone versions. I don't find much for Bulgarian out there, and there is increasing clutter, now that google isn't so "clean" anymore. I've been searching on Bulgarian electronic dictionary -handheld -online -portable -talking -ectaco -mobile. It should be on CD/DVD or downloadable from an Internet vendor.

Does anyone have a recommendation. Preferably in the 50-150K entries range.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2008-03-22 15:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Biliana Nikolova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 20:52
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
SA dictionary Mar 22, 2008

Hello Yngve!

SA dictionary is the most popular free EN-BG BG-EN dictionary. I personally use it daily and I find it extremely useful.

You can download it from here: http://www.thediction.com/

Good luck!

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Goody! Mar 23, 2008

Thanks Biliana,

I've now downloaded this, and sent an email to the website that pertains thereto inquiring about more info.

I hope the keyboard for Bulgarian will be "phonetic" and not "native" in Windows, otherwise I may have to purchase some sort of driver to make it more like the Qwerty variety. Of course, I could use my Russian phonetic keyboard, with the exclusion of the particularly Bulgarian hard sign character, I suppose.

Actually, I saw from a previous post here in the Bulgarian forum that Eurodict also has some nice offerings, both online and downloadable.

YR

[Edited at 2008-03-23 01:30]

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Don't bother with purchasing Mar 23, 2008

Don't bother with purchasing general puprose computer EN - BG dictionaries. I am yet to see one that has substantial improvements over the dictionary they are based on - the 1973 two-volume dictionary.
The main difference I've seen is that the free offers omit a lot of the examples that the paper original had and that were quite useful in assessing the nuances in the usage.
I personally find the also free AEDictionary - aedict.hit.bg - more convenient than SA. However, there are wrong words due to bad OCR.
When you said you're looking for a Bulgarian dictionary - did you mean you needed a single-language dictionary, or a dual language one, e. g. EN - BG? In the former case, I am not sure there is something other than the KoralSoft offer: http://www.eurodict.koralsoft.com/products-86.html
Regarding the so-called phonetic keyboard layout - there are plenty of solutions out there, all of them for free. Just search for фонетична клавиатура, фонетична кирилица, фонетична подредба and get what you like most. I am assuming you're using Windows. And Windows Vista has a built-in "phonetic" keyboard layout, which, although somewhat strange to the people used to the old one, shouldn't be a big problem for you - that is, if you're using Vista at all.
And as you said, you could use the Russian layout, of course. The Russian alphabet includes all the characters of the Bulgarian alphabet, so you will not have any problems there.

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
The Cyrillic "hard sign" Mar 24, 2008

. . . on the Russian keyboard works fine for Bulgarian. In fact, I use the Windows Russian keyboard for both languages.

Biliana Nikolova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Phonetic is fine Mar 24, 2008

Hello Yngve!

I personally use the Phonetic. There is a Cyrillic standard (BDS) as well, you have to decide which is more convenient for you.

Best,

Biliana

invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
Polyglot 7 Mar 24, 2008

Yngve,

Aside from the abovementioned SA dictionary, I've been using this one: http://www.persof.com/talk.aspx They put a stress on the fact that it's a 'talking' one - but that's bells and whistles, I find it generally a good dictionary. Its organisation is a bit odd - but once you get used to it, I think you'll find it helpful. It's particularly rich in technical terms, at least compared to other electronic dictionaries I've tried.

You may also want to take a look here: http://brainware.911.bg/a2/offers.asp?grid=37252&m=37 Never seen most of these, though, so I cannot recommend any.

As for the phonetic keyboard layout:

WinXP contains two Bulgarian layouts - "Bulgarian", as per the BDS standard, i.e. like a Bulgarian typing machine, and "Bulgarian (Latin)" which is some oddity I've never used (and never heard of anyone using it, actually).

For a true Bulgarian phonetic layout there is a small proggy written by a guy who calls himself Injinera (meaning "The Engineer", with a deliberate spelling mistake). It adds a "Bulgarian (Phonetic)" layout - and does so very neatly, without interfering unnecessarily with systerm files etc. I've been using it ever since Win98 and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

Here is the download page: http://injinera.bgplus.com/dloadmnu.htm It's written on purpose in harsh slang (that's the author's typical style so this is the file you need to download: http://injinera.bgplus.com/downloads/CYR_XP_SFX.exe (self-extracting archive).

If you feel you need further instruction, send me an e-mail.

HTH

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summing up! Mar 24, 2008

Many thanks for all this feedback.

I sent an e-mail to persof.com to request a copy of their Polyglot sofware. I hope it went to the right address, which was in Burgas, a city I once visited. Another e-mail address came back as undeliverable.

The Bulgarian Latin comes up with Latin characters rather than the cyrillic ones, which is odd. I guess, I'll just use my Russian phonetic keyboard, which was installed using a program written by Pavel, was it? I had a thread about that here on Proz.

I think by now I got Bulgarian covered.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Electronic Bulgarian dix, not the online or mobile-phone kind

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search