Thread poster: Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi
Barbara Baldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 27, 2008

Hello everybody,
is there anybody who knows some Bulgarian (crash) course to follow for 2 - 3 weeks in Sofia or Varna? Of course I could look for myself but I am trying to have some reliable feedback as I am looking for something serious and realiable.
I was put in contact with a Bulgarian teacher here in Brussels, but she never got back to me so I guess she is overburden.
Also, is there a recent Bulgarian grammar? When I say recent I am talking about the 80's maybe, as I only
... See more
Hello everybody,
is there anybody who knows some Bulgarian (crash) course to follow for 2 - 3 weeks in Sofia or Varna? Of course I could look for myself but I am trying to have some reliable feedback as I am looking for something serious and realiable.
I was put in contact with a Bulgarian teacher here in Brussels, but she never got back to me so I guess she is overburden.
Also, is there a recent Bulgarian grammar? When I say recent I am talking about the 80's maybe, as I only found text books dating back to the 60's or worse.
Thank you so much in advance to those who will spend their time to try and help : )
Barbara

[Edited at 2008-01-27 18:09]
Collapse

Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Bulgarian grammar for foreigners Jan 27, 2008

Hi Barbara!
There are Bulgarian grammars published in the last ten years. Most of them are adapted for the English speaking learner. What in particular are you interested in? I guess most of them can be found on the on-line bookstores. This autumn I saw a very nice concise Bulgarian phrase book and a grammar, all in one, in Holland. It was even in Dutch! It was in a small shop in a small town, so I assume that you can find it in Brussels....
See more
Hi Barbara!
There are Bulgarian grammars published in the last ten years. Most of them are adapted for the English speaking learner. What in particular are you interested in? I guess most of them can be found on the on-line bookstores. This autumn I saw a very nice concise Bulgarian phrase book and a grammar, all in one, in Holland. It was even in Dutch! It was in a small shop in a small town, so I assume that you can find it in Brussels.
As for the courses, maybe it will be more helpful for you if you get a feedback from someone that has already attended such a course. Otherwise a short Google research shows that there are a lot of training centres in Bulgaria offering courses in Bulgarian for foreigners.
Check out these websites. You may find them helpful.
http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/studier/studenttjenester/Nettressurser/bulg/mat/gram/
http://www.euro-languages.net/bulgaria/index.php?action=Resources
Good luck with the Bulgarian!
Daniela
Collapse

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Daniela!! Jan 28, 2008

for your precious contribution! Those links are lovely. I have already contacted an university in Sofia.
One grammar on line is fantastic! I have the Assimil method but I wanted something more organized and systematic.
I wish I had cyrillic on my keyboard to thank you properly...
Barbara

Sigrun Gemuend
Sigrun Gemuend  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:47
Greek to German
+ ...
Bulgarian course Jan 28, 2008

If you want to write in cyrillic: much easier to use than the normal bulgarian keybord you have on your PC under windows is a so called phonetic keyboard (where the letters are roughly unter the correspondent latin e.g. a = а, s = с, d=д etc.). You can download them for free from the internet, e.g.
http://www.download.bg/index.php?cls=program&mtd=default&id=10898
... See more
If you want to write in cyrillic: much easier to use than the normal bulgarian keybord you have on your PC under windows is a so called phonetic keyboard (where the letters are roughly unter the correspondent latin e.g. a = а, s = с, d=д etc.). You can download them for free from the internet, e.g.
http://www.download.bg/index.php?cls=program&mtd=default&id=10898

Regarding the language course: If you are interested in a fast progress, I would take individual lessons at Sofia University (or another University offering this). There you will also find much better books for learning Bulgarian as a foreign language. I myself took a two week course (individual lessons) there before I started my studies in Veliko Tarnovo (where I continued with individual lessons parallely to my studies in interpreting).

[Edited at 2008-01-28 14:41]

[Edited at 2008-01-28 16:27]
Collapse

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 1, 2008

for you kind reply.
Because I still haven't had a reply from the university I contacted, could you maybe give me some specific address or link about the course YOU followed? Is there a specific person to contact? A specific email address?
Thank you again.
Barbara

Sigrun Gemuend
Sigrun Gemuend  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:47
Greek to German
+ ...
Link Feb 1, 2008

I did an intensive course (individual classes) at the departement for foreign language teaching and international students at Sofia University. The link is
http://www.deo.uni-sofia.bg/html_en/bulfor.html
I remember that I got an answer at once and they organized the course for me within one week.

If they don't answer, I would write to one of the other Universities
... See more
I did an intensive course (individual classes) at the departement for foreign language teaching and international students at Sofia University. The link is
http://www.deo.uni-sofia.bg/html_en/bulfor.html
I remember that I got an answer at once and they organized the course for me within one week.

If they don't answer, I would write to one of the other Universities offering Bulgarian as a foreign language.
Collapse

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic! Thank you! Feb 1, 2008

I'll keep you posted and if I go, if there is anything you miss from Bulgaria let me know!
B

Madlen Velinova
Madlen Velinova
Spain
Spanish to Bulgarian
+ ...
An alternative Bulgarian course Feb 12, 2008

Hello Barbara!

I totally agree with Segrun`s suggestion for this Centre is maybe the best in Sofia, but I am giving you an alternative course organizded by the New Bulgarian University, as I know a lot of foreign people who attended the course and who were quite happy with it.
See the link below and you can compare prices and ge
... See more
Hello Barbara!

I totally agree with Segrun`s suggestion for this Centre is maybe the best in Sofia, but I am giving you an alternative course organizded by the New Bulgarian University, as I know a lot of foreign people who attended the course and who were quite happy with it.
See the link below and you can compare prices and general conditions.

http://www.nbu.bg/index.php?l=851#StudyingBulgarian

Good luck.
Collapse

Barbara Baldi
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HI Madlen, Mar 10, 2008

sorry to reply SOOOooo late but later is better than never : )))
Thanks a buch for your suggestion and wonderful link.
I think I 'll go in November.
Thanks
Barbara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bulgarian course

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »