payment subject to client approval
Thread poster: Joan Berglund

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
French to English
Apr 16, 2008

I just saw a job posted on another site that stated that "payment is subject to client approval". Needless to say, I did not bid, but I am curious to know if that requirement is even legal. Anyone know? I suppose legal is a slippery concept when working internationally.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:38
English to German
+ ...
Prior agreement Apr 16, 2008

Hi Joan,
I don't see a problem, provided that this is clearly stated upfront.

Best regards,
Ralf

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
And.. Apr 16, 2008

And if it is stated up front, you may not want to take the job, because they could just stiff you by saying "the client didn't approve it" with no proof at all.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
For that matter Apr 17, 2008

Did the ad say that payment was subject to client approval OF THE TRANSLATION? If not, if the client didn't approve of you being paid, there would be no need to pay you.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
didn't specify Apr 17, 2008

Good point, I assumed approval of the translation but the poster did not specify. Actually I found since I posted that this particular company has an ok reputation, but I still don't like the sounds of it. It seems more typical of those companies that pick translators according solely to the lowest bid and then pass on translations to the end user without even glancing at them, figuring they can just stiff the translator if the client doesn't like the work.

Stephanie Sirot  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:38
English to French
+ ...
1 agency, 1 client, 1 translator: 2 different contracts May 4, 2008

Joan Berglund wrote:

I just saw a job posted on another site that stated that "payment is subject to client approval". Needless to say, I did not bid, but I am curious to know if that requirement is even legal. Anyone know? I suppose legal is a slippery concept when working internationally.

You should always get paid for your services. You have a contract with the agency, not with their client. The agency has a separate contract with their client. These are 2 different things.

It is a convenient excuse to say a client "didn't approve the translation". Usually, people asking for translation work are not linguists...that's why they use translation agencies/ translators.

Just my thoughts...

Stephanie.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
my thoughts too May 5, 2008

stephanie45 wrote:

You should always get paid for your services. You have a contract with the agency, not with their client. The agency has a separate contract with their client. These are 2 different things.

This is what I always believed to be the case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

payment subject to client approval

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search