Mysterious change in sources of work (UK in decline - France in the ascendant)
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2008

UK in decline - France in the ascendant.
In the last several months, I've found that my "old faithful" UK agencies have been sending me less and less work. Meanwhile, almost all my work is coming from French agencies. I'm just as busy as before, if not busier, so I'm not complaining, but just a little surprised and mystified.
Has anyone else noticed a similar trend? Can anyone suggest a reason? (I haven't increased my rates lately and haven't received any complaints from the old faithfuls).
Regards,
Jenny

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-24 11:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Richards
France
Local time: 07:38
French to English
+ ...
The economy? Apr 24, 2008

The Pound is down against the Euro and the British economy isn't doing so well. The weak pound makes you cheaper to those paying in Euros and the poor economy is drying up the work for your English agencies.

T.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, me too Apr 24, 2008

Yes, I've noticed that too - though in fairness I've been so inundated from my French agencies that I've often had to turn down the UK agencies when they have offered me stuff lately. I'm also receiving much less from my German/Austrian/Swiss agencies than I used to. I used to do much more German than French, now it's definitely the other way round.

Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Indeed Apr 24, 2008

Yes, the bulk of my work now comes from Japan, while Europe has gone relatively quiet.

The reason may be that European clients now start turning to Japanese agencies instead of European ones, hoping to get a better deal there (because of the strong Euro). And alas, I suppose they do - which isn't really good for me, because even though my Japanese clients all pay generously, it is still less than it used to be due to the currency conversion.

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Different here... Apr 24, 2008

...but I'm working in completely different language combination. I'm very busy and rather intensively headhunted (especially last couple of weeks) in the UK, but haven't had a project from the continent for a good few months.
Not so sure why. Could be that the rates back home (Slovakia) are lower.
I'm working mostly on government projects which can't be done outside the UK and that really helps. The rest of them, whether from the UK or anywhere else, I believe end up in Slovakia.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exchange Rate / Economy Apr 24, 2008

Yes, I have received a lot of work from the UK this year. I can only surmise that this is because of the exchange rate. Because of the decline of the dollar, our rates seem very low to European agencies and this price seems to overcome the British English vs American English barrier. As the dollar continues to decline, I fear we may become one of those countries providing "cheap" translations. We are now faced with the decision currently faced by a lot of developing countries - do we charge our normal rate (granting us a decent standard of living in a struggling economy) that unfortunately undercuts European translators or double our rates (in which case we would not get the work because the agencies would use their regular European translators instead). This while we are in a recession, the price of gas has risen from $3.15 to $3.60 a gallon within a month and is set to go much higher, rice is now being rationed in some grocery stores, food prices have skyrocketed, people are losing their homes and their jobs left and right and we are happy to have any work at all.

[Edited at 2008-04-24 18:48]

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Weak Dollar Apr 28, 2008

Most of my work comes from Europe now, a lot of it from the UK. There is less and less coming in from the US, probably due to weak Dollar. It used to be different last year...

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

This while we are in a recession, the price of gas has risen from $3.15 to $3.60 a gallon within a month and is set to go much higher, rice is now being rationed in some grocery stores, food prices have skyrocketed, people are losing their homes and their jobs left and right and we are happy to have any work at all.

That sounds bad!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mysterious change in sources of work (UK in decline - France in the ascendant)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search