Advice needed disappeared agency (?)
Thread poster: Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 25, 2008

I have been doing some business with an agency which is listed on the Blue Board and was advertising jobs until the end of March. They have not yet paid my invoices dating back 3/4 months. When I tried to ring them I was told that the agency has moved and the person I spoke to had no idea where they have gone. I was given the mobile number of one of their employees. When I rang this person she said she had left the company and did not know what was happening but did not think I should be concerned about getting my money since the agency has never had a policy of not paying. I knew that, since their BB record was very good when I first accepted work from them. However, recently they have had some low scores. People seem to have been paid but it took a long time. This former employee could not give me a new address or phone number for the company. I have sent them various emails asking for their new contact details etc but have had no reply to date.
I am not sure what to do about this. The agency is still on the BB with the old address/phone numbers but they currently seem untraceable.
I am reluctant at this stage to put a note to this effect on the BB since they may still be disorganised after their current move and hopefully they will update their details asap. Any advice would be very welcome!

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:18
French to English
What country? Apr 25, 2008

You don't mention what country the agency is in, but if the agency was in France for example, the first thing I would do is check the official situation of the company with the "registre de commerce" and find out if they are in bankruptcy, or something else, and get the company's new address through this channel.

I would expect that this type of information is available in other European countries as well.

Try contacting other ProZ members who have left blue board comments for the agency, post on the TCR list to see if anyone has further information ...

And why not put a blue board comment now, I think the situation you describe is sufficiently fishy that a blue board comment is warranted. You can always update your comment if things work out in the end.

Allesklar  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
when things go bad Apr 27, 2008

I once worked for an agency that went bankrupt after 2 years when the owner succumbed to delusions of grandeur or something. Similar symptoms here.
BlueBoard entries indicated that they gave jobs to translators with the intention of ripping them off even months after officially having filed for bankruptcy. If you fancy playing detective, you could send them an email from an address unknown to them posing as a potential client and see if you get an answer then.

And definitely put your experience on the BB - as Lori said, you can always change it later

[Edited at 2008-04-27 22:32]

Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally got payment May 8, 2008

A quick update: I finally got paid yesterday. Their email account is still active but I noticed on the BB that they have had a lot of bad feedback in the last month or so with regards to payment and they are now banned from posting jobs on ProZ.
This agency seems to be in total chaos at the moment. Apparently they have moved, their accountant has left and the server crashed resulting in missing invoices. Apparently they have no idea how much they owe the different translators. I did contact a number of colleagues who were very helpful and they all seemed to have been paid eventually.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed disappeared agency (?)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search