how about banding together for an alternative ot paypal?
Thread poster: peekay

peekay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:35
French to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2008

Hello all,
I am a recent addition to the paypal horror stories.
Never had a problem until I decided to simply add a US bank account to my paypal account; It's like I asked them to explain the creation of the universe to me. Chasing their tails for months unable to carry out this small operation. Maybe a mistake with my bank information (I can understand; after all, I only double-checked four times, three of which I went to my bank in person); maybe a glitch with their system (let's not go there lest the moderators censor me).
Anyway, it all comes down to me being forced to go through their exchange terms in order to exchange other currencies to CDN (which is my home currency). You see, if I add the US bank account and deposit the money directly, they don't get a cut from the exchange;

Hmmmm... I suppose I should anticipate a biiiiiig delay in getting that US bank account added.

Anyway, notwithstanding the rant (yeah, I know, too late) my post is: what about a proz credit card or something like that? Would it fly? I just don’t see anything else out there…
Any suggestions other than the usual in order to avoid paypal?

Thanks,
Pete

Direct link Reply with quote

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Moneybookers Jun 11, 2008

You may want to try Moneybookers.com. Search for moneybookers in this site and you will find useful information and feedback about this payment service.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There are alternatives Jun 11, 2008

Why don't you cancel your account and start a new one or change to Moneybookers? The horror stories about PP seem to have stopped about 5 years ago. I have never had a problem, but use it very little.
Cheers
Heinrich

Thorson
Local time: 02:35
Danish to English
You should have tried banking before PayPal Jun 11, 2008

Having experienced the nightmares of international banking in pre-PayPal days, the fees seem small for the miracle of receiving my payments in seconds.

Try paying $20 to deposit a $100 check or waiting 30 days for a US check to clear (Barclays Bank in London in the mid 1980's. Amazingly, the tellers didn't have computer terminals and were still writing each transaction down in ledger books, ala Charles Dickens) and you won't mind the fees.

The secret to dealing with most PayPal problems is ignoring their online instructions and messages and going through their tedious phone system to get to a live person, who can almost always straighten out problems right away.

Just say to the computer "agent" when you call in.

[Edited at 2008-06-11 06:58]

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I have to stick up for PayPal Jun 11, 2008

I've been using it for years and only had one problem, and it wasn't PayPal's fault. Also the people who helped me over the phone were very nice and did their best to resolve the issue. I'm very grateful for such a convenient way to make and reveive payments. It sure beats any other way I know of for receiving payments from overseas. I suppose Moneybookers is fine, too, it's just that it's not as well-known, and I like to use PayPay for making online purchases, too.

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how about banding together for an alternative ot paypal?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search