Weak last 2 weeks?
Thread poster: Sylvia Muniz

Sylvia Muniz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:43
English to French
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

I have been working non-stop since I joined Proz a year ago, yet, these the last two weeks have been weak indeed ... Anybody agrees?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
ready for a surprise? Check your post Jul 10, 2008

my experience is that (again and again) there's a lull, like "nobody loves me" and then "bang", they start pouring in again.

[Edited at 2008-07-10 21:22]

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
No lull here Jul 11, 2008

Here it has been mayhem. I've been turning down jobs on a regular basis (anything from 5000 to 50,000 words a week).

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Normal fit of workaholic panic Jul 11, 2008

Slow/empty periods do happen from time to time, but we're so accustomed to working non-stop that they tend to trigger a fit of panic instead of hapiness.
Enjoy while you can! Next chance may pop up only in a few looong months...
On the other hand, the person who invents a method of steering the demand to continuously acceptable levels should be awarded a Nobel.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Woot to slow periods!!! Jul 11, 2008

Iza Szczypka wrote:

Slow/empty periods do happen from time to time, but we're so accustomed to working non-stop that they tend to trigger a fit of panic instead of hapiness.
Enjoy while you can! Next chance may pop up only in a few looong months...

You're right Iza, exactly our thoughts. At first, when we were not established yet, we tended to panic when we had empty periods. But now we cherish them like gold because we know that our clients come back and even new clients always contact us.

We use that time to spend more time with our daughter and to catch up with paperwork. We also seize the opportunity to update our CV and profiles and do some more marketing to expand our client base.

Iza Szczypka wrote:

On the other hand, the person who invents a method of steering the demand to continuously acceptable levels should be awarded a Nobel.

Well... working as a team, we learned to handle 2 or 3 big projects at a time assuring high quality, of course (we always proofread each other's work). In that case, negotiating deadlines with our clients is a must otherwise we just turn down projects with tight deadlines in demanding periods. Maybe teaming up could be a solution

Cheers and enjoy your free time!

Letty

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:43
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
No - strong Jul 11, 2008

I've been as busy as ever in recent weeks if not busier. I often find the (northern hemisphere) summer is busier than usual, possibly because many translators are away on holiday so those of us who aren't away get their work, but I don't know.
Best wishes,
Jenny

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Yes - suddenly down in Medical Jul 11, 2008

Surprisingly, there's a deep drop in medical job offers this year. Normally, July is one of my strongest months.
This said, it's not so bad. I need a quiet long 14th July week-end.
Don't panic. Work will come back, exactly when you'll be begining to think "what a pleasure to enjoy summer without work ! Let's have a deserved rest... Wow ! There's a job offer coming, ... no, two, three ... My God ! I'm living again !!.. Rest, did you say? What's that ? "
Catherine

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
German to English
+ ...
Same thing for me in financial Jul 11, 2008

A slow two weeks and then boom, work coming out of my ears again this week. Of course, quarterly reports are coming up again, so those weeks are always busier. It was nice to use that slow time to entertain visiting family, but Vito and Catherine are right, the minute you get worried and check your e-mail, there are the customers again. Just a blip (plus some holidays thrown in there), I would say.

[Edited at 2008-07-11 16:28]

xxxLucyPatterso
English
I think it's random Jul 14, 2008

I had a quiet period in February/March but have been busy since then! To be honest I am looking forward to the next quiet spell, although I will probably begin to panic at the time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weak last 2 weeks?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search