Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2008

Before you flock to bid for a certain job on site, have a good look at the specifications for cutoff date and delivery deadline.
It's an "immediate job". Very immediate, but kind of in reverse. Quoting deadline is 4 August, and delivery deadline 29 July, so all you have to do is wait until 4 August, thump out the job, and then step into your time machine and set the coordinates for 6 days previous. Not so much a case of Trados required as Tardis required.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks, Mervyn Jul 29, 2008

Parallel universe, I guess

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it
(I'm more of a Star Trek fan, as you can guess from this quote)

[Edited at 2008-07-29 10:01]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
If you can't stand the heat... Jul 29, 2008

I am sorry, but there is absolutely no reason or excuse for translators not to have time travel capacity.

How else would you do all these 30 000 word jobs over the weekend?

Accept the job on Friday at 4 pm, hop into your favourite time machine (the Korean ones are better quality now and get reasonably good mileage), move back a month, finish the job, hop back to Monday morning and there you go.

I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?

Best,
Pawel
... See more
I am sorry, but there is absolutely no reason or excuse for translators not to have time travel capacity.

How else would you do all these 30 000 word jobs over the weekend?

Accept the job on Friday at 4 pm, hop into your favourite time machine (the Korean ones are better quality now and get reasonably good mileage), move back a month, finish the job, hop back to Monday morning and there you go.

I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?

Best,
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forget translation Jul 29, 2008

In the end I've decided to use that time transporter facility in another way. I just get in, set coordinates for Saturday morning, get out, buy a newspaper with the Euromillion results the previous day, get back in, set the coordinates back to this week, fill out the coupon, collect the winnings on Saturday, and sod translation.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
But... Jul 29, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
sod translation.

I don't know if they move forward!

P.A.S.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course they go forward Jul 29, 2008

Forward dimension, reverse dimension and fourth dimension at least. Although maybe not on the Korean units. Don't tell me Poland never got its hands on the "Dr Who" episodes?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Wouldn't know Jul 29, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Don't tell me Poland never got its hands on the "Dr Who" episodes?

Not as far as I know, not on the major TV stations, anyway.
I was never a big Dr Who fan - saw a few episodes when I was still living in Canada, but Daleks just ain't my cup of tea.

P.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why can't I see this thread except on RSS? Jul 29, 2008

Talking of teletransportation, I almost need another dimension or two myself to get to this thread. The only way I can see the update is through the RSS function. Can't understand why it doesn't come up on my normal Proz display.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:53
SITE FOUNDER
Maybe you are set not to view off-topics? Jul 29, 2008

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Talking of teletransportation, I almost need another dimension or two myself to get to this thread. The only way I can see the update is through the RSS function. Can't understand why it doesn't come up on my normal Proz display.

Is it possible your settings are such that you do not see off-topic postings? It would seem to be an odd choice for you, I know...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aha Jul 29, 2008

Yes, that was it, it was toggled wrong for some reason. Thanks a lot Henry.

Mervyn

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Reminds me of a very recent job posting. Jul 30, 2008

A small but quite attractive job (ad copy), due in 2 hours, yet the applicants were to send their CV, plus 2 references. Nice, by the time the outsourcer is done with sieving through the applications and calling all the references, the two hours have gone by. That's where time machines come in really handy. Also, your reference had better the phone number 911, or whatever the emergency call number in your country may be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time transportation required

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »