Best Mobile phone for the translator
Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan

Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 20:24
English to Arabic
Aug 1, 2008

Peace be upon you all,

I just want to buy a new cellular phone in order to be able to browse my email regularly when I am away from my PC,
I was thinking of the E90 communicator from Nokia, but I need advise from people using this technology, I mean browsing their email from their phone, I als need to know do you have to create a paid mail account in order to be able to use outlook in the phone and download the mail or just the ordinary free mail from yahoo is enough, my requirements als is to use a phone with an adequate keyboard to be able to type a message for example.
Please give me your experience in this matter.
Thanks
Rayyan

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:24
English to Finnish
+ ...
Warmly recommended Aug 1, 2008

I just want to buy a new cellular phone in order to be able to browse my email regularly when I am away from my PC,
I was thinking of the E90 communicator from Nokia, but I need advise from people using this technology, I mean browsing their email from their phone, I als need to know do you have to create a paid mail account in order to be able to use outlook in the phone and download the mail or just the ordinary free mail from yahoo is enough, my requirements als is to use a phone with an adequate keyboard to be able to type a message for example.

I have used the E90 since 2007. It is an excellent tool, considerably better than Nokia's previous communicator, the 9300i. Both the keyboard and the display are of course a far cry from those of a notebook or desktop PC, but they are still much better than those on a normal phone.

If Yahoo offers an SMTP interface for sending mail, and an IMAP or POP interface for reading mail, you should be able to use the E90 mail client. All three protocols also support SSL and TLS encryption, as does, of course, the web browser you will need to use in case Yahoo only offers a webmail service.

Firmware updates zap the E90 into out-of-box condition, so you will probably want to update to the most recent firmware version before starting to use your new phone.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
I use Aug 1, 2008

A HTC (Windows Mobile 6, with Qwerty) and use Gmail mobile for my Emails + Skype + Opera Mini.

The Communicator is a brick and old fashion

In a few months I will change to iPhone and use my www.me.com account so I can have PC, Macbook and iPhone always synchronized.

Regards

Fernando
www.lenguatik.com

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Samsung Blackjack w/ Internet access Aug 1, 2008

I have it set to receive emails from 3 email accounts. I can see the files attached, acknowlege receipt, reply on time whether I can commit or not; I can even check if the train is delayed. I have a special ringtone just for emails, discreet and extremely short, so it never disturbs anything I am doing or anyone around me. It can be sinchronized too, has a 3Gb capacity, and a QWERTY keyboard and numerous additional features.

I never miss a beat!

[Edited at 2008-08-01 17:31]

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
BlackBerry Aug 1, 2008

I recently bought the BlackBerry World Edition and am very happy with it. The keyboard is QWERT, the display is plenty big enough, it's user friendly and it plays mp3s!

Amy

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your comments Aug 1, 2008

Thank you all for your comments, but acually I am still confused what is best to use, though I like E90 but I don't like to buy technology I donot use, such as the communicator or the GPRS, I want a mobile phone serves my requirements no more.
Still confused.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Tailor the service to your needs Aug 2, 2008

mahrayyan wrote:

Thank you all for your comments, but acually I am still confused what is best to use, though I like E90 but I don't like to buy technology I donot use, such as the communicator or the GPRS, I want a mobile phone serves my requirements no more.
Still confused.

Then your predicament is not so much the phone but the service. Buy any good phone with capabilities and contract the email service (for which you would have to contract Internet service too, I guess, at least that is my case). Because it does not matter if you purchase the latest technology, you still need to contract the appropriate service. Consult your mobile company.

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 2, 2008

Contact a good local company or two and see what the best options are. Try to buy your phone locally so you know what you're getting into.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to clarrify the problem Aug 3, 2008

Thanks Luisa and Islander, but I believe I didn't succed to represent my main point, let me now rephrase my question:
How can a freelance translator use all the functions of his mobile phone, and what are the features that a freelance translator requires in his mobile phone?
I asked myself this question and found the following ansers:
what I need from my mobile phone to do?
1- to function as a scanner for rush tasks if I have to scan a card or a signature or whatever and I am away from my scanner (then I need a good camera in the phone)
2- to function as an organizer in order to arrange my occassions and dates
3- to function as a fax machine if I had to (Though I don't believe I will need this feature
4- and the first and most important function is to be able to browse the web and send mails if I had to
5- to be used as mp3 player when I am travelling

Can anyone add any other features that a freelance translator needs and what is the best brand of smartphones that can handle all those functions?
I hope now I am clear.
thanks

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:24
English to Finnish
+ ...
How about contacts and navigation? Aug 3, 2008

mahrayyan wrote:

I asked myself this question and found the following ansers:
what I need from my mobile phone to do?

3- to function as a fax machine if I had to (Though I don't believe I will need this feature

Please note that 3G does not support faxing, as earlier networks did.
5- to be used as mp3 player when I am travelling

Maybe you would also find navigation useful? The current E90 software includes Nokia Maps 2.0, which supports both walking and driving.
Can anyone add any other features that a freelance translator needs and what is the best brand of smartphones that can handle all those functions?

I find contact management rather important. For me, my E90, Microsoft Outlook, and Plaxo handle that aspect very well.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Good addition Aug 3, 2008

Yes actually the contacts and microsoft outlook are of great importance to me too, and that is what Is called brainstorming, I believe we can enrich our knowledge via this communication
Thanks and waiting for the other suggestions

jelly_gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
English to Panjabi
+ ...
It is not just the mobile phone you need, you need applications software too Aug 3, 2008

Hi.. I have E60 and I have installed a lot of applications in it. Here are the benefits it offers:

1. Its very cheap as compared to E90.
2. It is 3G ready.
3. Screen offers very high resolution with 16 million colors.
4. It has 60MB internal memory.
5. I have downloaded 4 dictionaries into it, so no need to carry bulky dictionaries when I travel.
6. I have installed Slick, using which I can be simultaneously online on yahoo msngr and MSN msngr.
7. I can view emails with attachments and reply straight away.
8. It has mobile office installed which makes me view, edit and create Word, Excel, Power Point documents.
9. I can zip files and view pdf , jpeg files too.
10. Moreover battery backup and signal reception is excellent.

Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jelly for this info Aug 3, 2008

I will really consider the E60

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Mobile phone for the translator

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search