Thread poster: Annika Hedqvist

Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:01
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

This is mostly targeted to Swedish translators, but all others are welcome to comment too. I fairly recently got started as a translator and I have now more or less regular work. I need an insurance that covers Europe (although I have worked once for a company outside of Europe too) and I am a member of the Swedish Association of Professional Translators (SFÖ) so I have the possibility to get their insurance.

What bothers me as a beginner is that their insurance costs 3 590 SEK per year (that's 380 euro) and it seems to be the only alternative out there. What I would want to know is what you think of this insurance. What is the point of the robbery/assault part of the insurance, for example? I don't see why I as a translator would need that when I have insurance for interruption (not being able to deliver on time) and responsibility for damage caused to other companies.

Are there more affordable alternatives out there or should I just stop being such a cheapskate and accept that this is what it costs?

Information about this insurance I'm talking about is available in Swedish only, here:
http://www.allians.com/sfoe/blanketter/SFO_dokument_2008.pdf
http://www.allians.com/sfoe/blanketter/SFO_Forsakringsbevis_2008.pdf
http://www.allians.com/sfoe/blanketter/SFO_folder.pdf

(Another related question: Does anyone know what happens with insurance coverage if I work with for example the Italian office of a company that is based in India? Would I then need world coverage rather than just for Europe?)

Grateful for all opinions!

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's a waste of money Aug 4, 2008

Every time the subject of insurance arises, I mention the fact that I have yet to see a documented case of a translator ever being sued for professional liability. I also ask that if anyone does know of such a case, to please report it.

So far there have been no reports, and I've been doing this for a while.

Conclusion: Such insurance is a waste of your money.

Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Basic insurance, at least? Aug 4, 2008

That's a good point. But shouldn't I at least have some sort of basic insurance? Even if I won't get sued, I might be liable to pay for damage caused to an agency or end client if I can't deliver on time. That must have happened to someone.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Basic Insurance Aug 4, 2008

Your best basic insurance for that is to carefully read every contract you sign and make sure that there are no clauses in it that would make you liable for anything beyond the actual price for the translation.

Of course you are often at risk for the price anyway, because the client might be a bad payer. But no more than that.

Oliver Dirs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:01
Swedish to English
+ ...
Peace of mind Aug 5, 2008

Hi Annika. I'm also looking into professional insurance in Sweden, as I'll be going freelance soon. I'm not a member of SFÖ yet, so can't get the policy they offer. I've seen Henry make the point about insurance being a waste of money, and I must say I'm torn on the matter. It seems obvious that any business should have insurance, but then again my computer etc. are covered for theft by my home insurance and Sweden, at least, is not a very litigious place to work. Maybe more imporant for a translator would be health insurance, which I'd have to pay for separately.

I expect I'll end up getting some sort of basic small business insurance for peace of mind (from Länsförsäkingar, if, etc.), but I can't help feeling that Henry's right. At this stage I can only afford insurance for the Nordic region; I've also noted how much more its costs for Europe.

Oliver

Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regular business insurance Aug 5, 2008

I actually got a tip outside of this forum that a regular business insurance is enough. I feel the same way, that it's unlikely that anything serious (like getting sued) is going to happen. But I don't feel comfortable working with no insurance at all.

You should know that your home insurance normally doesn't cover what you've bought in your business. But as far as health insurance goes you usually have at least basic insurance through Försäkringskassan.

I've contacted Länsförsäkringar and Trygg Hansa for information about small business insurance, but I haven't had a chance to compare them yet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insurance in Sweden

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search