redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 07:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
work Oct 14, 2008

Williamson wrote:

One of those in-house translators was my example and mentor. He proved to be the opposite of native-only. After a career of 35 years, some of his other languages became so good that the natives asked for his advice. Every ten years or so, he started learning another language and after 5 years added that languages to his working language. I have never known him out of work. He started at 7 a.m. for agencies and direct clients, did some translations in between for the translation department of his employer and worked from about noon to 22 p.m. for his principals with whom he had a "special arrangement" about payment. The employer was a state-owned company and at retirement he got a knighthood for 35 years of service, 20 of which he moonlighted. I "inherited" his terminology.
*-*-*-*-*-

He was vigorous, he is born for work. I would have thought of European people live in leisure life style.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To be a translator - being isolated?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »