Advice needed on merchant accounts
Thread poster: Αlban SHPΑTΑ

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Sep 6, 2008

I am considering opening an online merchant account where I can directly accept payments with Visa, MasterCard or other cards. Aware of all the scams going on when dealing with money online, I think I would need some advice from colleagues who already use merchant accounts. Which service would you suggest? Also, please keep in mind that I am located in a non-EU country. Would that matter when opening such an account?

Any advice would be very much appreciated
----------------------
http://itranslate.info

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:47
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
PayPal covers all services Sep 6, 2008

I have a PayPal merchant account, but it is quite expensive. However, people can pay by credit card and in just about any other way through PayPal.

Due to the cost of receiving the money, I do not allow customers within the EU to pay me by PayPal, since they can also do a bank transfer at no cost to either party. If they have no money and want to use a credit card, then I charge them extra. I write on my invoice, if necessary, "Bank transfer price ..XXX", Credit card price using PayPal .... YYY".

Moneybookers is supposed to be cheaper, but I do not have a merchant account there yet, so cannot tell you if they offer customers a variety of different ways to pay. Maybe you could have a look at their web site. The information should be there.

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2CO Sep 6, 2008

I already have an account with Moneybookers, but sometimes I feel like I'm forcing clients to sign up with MB. PayPal is still something I cannot use (being located in Albania). Paypal policies do not allow me to collect money but only send (come figure out if that is not called discrimination). However, I found this other website, 2checkout.com (2CO as they called it). Seemed interesting. Is there anyone who has some experience with it? They claim I can charge cards through it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice needed on merchant accounts

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search