Job posting looking for a translation agency
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 15:04
Sep 15, 2008

Saw a German->English job posting today on ProZ looking for qualified translators or translation agency for a translation. The job stated that it was VERY IMPORTANT for the applicant to be professional translators or agencies providing high-quality translations, and that otherwise, there is no need to apply.

This is the first time I've seen a job posting looking for a translator OR a translation agency. I know direct clients also post jobs on ProZ, but the job posting I refer to is
... See more
Saw a German->English job posting today on ProZ looking for qualified translators or translation agency for a translation. The job stated that it was VERY IMPORTANT for the applicant to be professional translators or agencies providing high-quality translations, and that otherwise, there is no need to apply.

This is the first time I've seen a job posting looking for a translator OR a translation agency. I know direct clients also post jobs on ProZ, but the job posting I refer to is from an agency, and not a direct client!

Isn't this somewhat unusual? Since the agency posting the job has quite a low score on the Blue Board and other payment practice lists, I wonder what to make of it.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Agencies do often outsource to smaller agencies Sep 15, 2008

There are plenty of different reasons why they might do so. Unfortunately, that makes the translator's remuneration rather low in the end, if two agencies, instead of one, are involved in the middle of the chain.

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 15:04
TOPIC STARTER
They do indeed Sep 16, 2008

True, for business reasons, agencies do outsource to other agencies, and there's no harm in that, of course. It's just that they tend not to emphasize this fact, precisely for the reason you mentioned, namely, lower remuneration for the freelancer as the freelancer moves further down the supply chain.

Clearly, job postings on ProZ can attract bids from both freelancers and agencies, there is no restriction on agencies bidding for a job, and there's no real reason to specify who can
... See more
True, for business reasons, agencies do outsource to other agencies, and there's no harm in that, of course. It's just that they tend not to emphasize this fact, precisely for the reason you mentioned, namely, lower remuneration for the freelancer as the freelancer moves further down the supply chain.

Clearly, job postings on ProZ can attract bids from both freelancers and agencies, there is no restriction on agencies bidding for a job, and there's no real reason to specify who can bid for the job. On the contrary, if the job poster does not want other agencies to bid, such postings (and there are plenty of these) explicitly state: No agencies please. The posting in question is the first I've seen explicitly specifying who can bid for the job, a fact that did not have to be stated. That's what I found unusual.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting looking for a translation agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »