Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

I'm very ambitious. When I don't get a response of some kind, I start to wonder if the company received my information or if they forgot about me.

So, I'm wondering when it's okay to follow up, and when it's best to not do so. (Aside from an obvious case, such as a message on the website that says "Please do not contact us. We will contact you.")

Personally, I prefer to follow up via phone, unless it would mean an international call. (The international call charge
... See more
I'm very ambitious. When I don't get a response of some kind, I start to wonder if the company received my information or if they forgot about me.

So, I'm wondering when it's okay to follow up, and when it's best to not do so. (Aside from an obvious case, such as a message on the website that says "Please do not contact us. We will contact you.")

Personally, I prefer to follow up via phone, unless it would mean an international call. (The international call charges on my phone bill would gobble up so much money!!) What do you more established professionals think?
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:11
Dutch to English
+ ...
I rarely follow up Sep 17, 2008

I only check when I want to make sure a customer got my translation when I want to close shop for the day (I call). If they are interested in me, they will call me. This may sound very arrogant but I've been doing this for 25 years and I have plenty of work, so why waste time and energy? I also like not having to talk to people and avoid the phone if I can. I am very selective about whom I spend time on/with.

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I don't really follow up Sep 17, 2008

Except when I sent a translation and I did not received any acknowledgment, but my usual clients always send a "tank you" when they get my translation.

Sometimes I send nice "reminder" like Xmas greetings or recently a notice "back from holiday and ready to work" to old clients. This did in find attract a forgotten customer with a new project .

I don't use the phone ... only to claim late payement after I have received excuses/no answer to my emails. With Skype it is
... See more
Except when I sent a translation and I did not received any acknowledgment, but my usual clients always send a "tank you" when they get my translation.

Sometimes I send nice "reminder" like Xmas greetings or recently a notice "back from holiday and ready to work" to old clients. This did in find attract a forgotten customer with a new project .

I don't use the phone ... only to claim late payement after I have received excuses/no answer to my emails. With Skype it is really cheap to call , even international calls.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Following up is perfectly fine! Sep 17, 2008

Srta Sara wrote:

Personally I think that a follow up is totally sensible.

Well, if you are sending 200 CVs to people you don't know, it might not make a lot of sense, but if someone has asked you for information or you have done a translation test for someone, it does make a lot of sense to follow up, as that way you are showing some interest in working for the company and be informed about the success of your tests.

Félicien Sirois
Félicien Sirois
United States
Local time: 07:11
Italian to English
+ ...
May depend on the circumstances Sep 18, 2008

This is not necessarily advice, but this is what I do under various circumstances:

* If I'm submitting a blind CV to a new company (which I rarely ever do), I don't usually pursue it further if I don't hear from them. In today's world of the Internet and ProZ and other translator forums, blindly contacting an unknown agency is definitely an "old school" way of doing business. Agencies are not passive today.

* If I've been contacted by a company and asked to submit my cr
... See more
This is not necessarily advice, but this is what I do under various circumstances:

* If I'm submitting a blind CV to a new company (which I rarely ever do), I don't usually pursue it further if I don't hear from them. In today's world of the Internet and ProZ and other translator forums, blindly contacting an unknown agency is definitely an "old school" way of doing business. Agencies are not passive today.

* If I've been contacted by a company and asked to submit my credentials, then I usually follow-up maybe a week later after I send the material. (Though I've been so busy lately I've not had the chance to pursue inquiries as much as I should admittedly.) If nothing more, it revives my name on the person's desk and they see I'm making an effort. Don't be pushy though. Know when to walk away. Call once or twice at most.

* If I complete a free sample (
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When to follow-up?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »