Question in regards to the term TEP which means Translation, Editing and Proofreading.
Thread poster: britt01 (X)
britt01 (X)
britt01 (X)
Andorra
Local time: 13:29
Sep 26, 2008

Sometime, I do get worried about the term TEP. Does the client mean I should take care of all three points (for the little money I get)? I do proofread my translation, but not the 100%!

Firstly, translate
Secondly, edit
Thirdly, proofread

I have also noticed that when I get a purchase order from a client it says:

A “T” beside per word amount, an “E” beside fuzzies and a “P” beside 100%

So, can someone help me to underst
... See more
Sometime, I do get worried about the term TEP. Does the client mean I should take care of all three points (for the little money I get)? I do proofread my translation, but not the 100%!

Firstly, translate
Secondly, edit
Thirdly, proofread

So, can someone help me to understand what exactly this term means?

Thanking you all in advance for your kind help.
Collapse

britt01 (X)
britt01 (X)
Andorra
Local time: 13:29
TOPIC STARTER
TEP Sep 28, 2008

Britt Bosmans wrote:

Firstly, translate
Secondly, edit
Thirdly, proofread

So, can someone help me to understand what exactly this term means?

Thanking you all in advance for your kind help.

Hi again, 146 Freelancers have looked at my question but no one can help?

Is it because the question is "stupid" or because there isn't any understanding about the term in question?

Please help!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:29
English to French
+ ...
None of the above Sep 28, 2008

Britt Bosmans wrote:

Is it because the question is "stupid" or because there isn't any understanding about the term in question?

It is none of the above. The reason why you didn't get any replies is that the term you refer to is most likely one that has never crossed paths with most translators. In any case, I've never come across it.

However, I feel I understand what you are talking about, so here is some insight.

Translation consists of three activities: translation itself, editing and proofreading. Translation is self-explanatory. Editing is when you compare source and target segments to make sure that the concepts and ideas expressed in the target segment truly correspond to the source segment, but also to make sure that the correct terminology was used. Proofreading only concerns the target text, and consists in checking grammar, spelling, punctuation and style (readability).

When you work with a CAT tool and you already have a TM provided by the client, you come across three types of matches: no match, fuzzy and 100%. What do you do with each of these as you translate? For no match segments, you translate them, and then you edit and proofread them later. For fuzzy matches, you basically check what is the difference between the source segment in the TM and the source segment in your document, and then you edit the target segment proposed by your CAT tool accordingly. Later on, you will proofread these segments. As for 100% matches, since the client has already added those to their TM, you only need to proofread them to make sure there are no typos and that they are readable.

To me, this pricing scheme looks a lot like a 100%/50%/25% CAT tool rate scheme. This CAT tool scheme would mean that you get paid 100% of your normal rate for no match segments, 50% of your normal rate for fuzzy matches and 25% of your normal rate for 100% matches. So, I think it is safe to assume that you are dealing with a good ol' CAT tool rate scheme, as many of us do.

In my opinion, the rate scheme itself is not a problem. It seems to me that what you are not happy with is the rate you charge. You may want to renegotiate your rates with this client. If you do, take into consideration the way the client calculates rates per word. If you raise your normal rate by 2 cents, fuzzy matches will be paid only one cent more, and 100% matches will be paid only 1/2 cent more.

I hope this helps - good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question in regards to the term TEP which means Translation, Editing and Proofreading.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »