Thread poster: Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:10
German to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2003

My hosting company still has a website and collects fees. However, the service no longer exists in reality.

Only a few links on the site work, the ones that do work are in Chinese lettering. Their phone is out of service, the 800-number dead, and the fate of emails to that company remains a mystery to me.

I have written the fees off as "education expense". No point throwing good effort after bad money.

However, I would like to keep on using my domain name. ... See more
My hosting company still has a website and collects fees. However, the service no longer exists in reality.

Only a few links on the site work, the ones that do work are in Chinese lettering. Their phone is out of service, the 800-number dead, and the fate of emails to that company remains a mystery to me.

I have written the fees off as "education expense". No point throwing good effort after bad money.

However, I would like to keep on using my domain name. Is there any method to transfer a domain name without the cooperation of the current "host"? In the eyes of the domain name registrar the host "manages" the domain name, not the dn-owner. The system has not considered hosting companies that disappear in cyberspace, or has it?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Ursula

PS: The hosting company still has good reviews, e.g. at godaddy: ...."What more can you ask for?" Yes, indeed!
Collapse

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
You own your name Jun 9, 2003

Hi:
While it is true that the host manages your domain, you can take your domain to any host you wish to. All you need to do is contact your new hosting company and ask instructions to reasign the domain to them. It's fairly easy.
Cheers,

Ricardo
Santiago, Chile

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try again! Jun 9, 2003

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi:
While it is true that the host manages your domain, you can take your domain to any host you wish to. All you need to do is contact your new hosting company and ask instructions to reasign the domain to them. It's fairly easy.
Cheers,

Ricardo
Santiago, Chile

I thought that this should work. I will make the willingness to reassign the name a 'litmus-test' for the customer service of a hosting company!

Thanks Ricardo,

Ursula

MaximS
MaximS
German to Russian
+ ...
Work with the registrar Jun 10, 2003

If your name and address is not in the Admin area of the domain entry in the whois database, there is no way you can manage the domain or transfer it to another hosting company. Work with the registrar of the domain. If this hoster disappeared, the registrar surely has a lot of cases like yours to deal with and should have some solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Domain name recovery: My web host has disappeared

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »