Thread poster: xxxncfialho
xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:16
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 5, 2008

Hi,
I have searched the forums but did not find what I want to know
Do you backup your files online? I do backups on a pen, but my fear is to loose it or something else...
So does anybody make online backups, do you pay for it?
Can you tell me your experiences with your provider?
Any backup system/software?
Thanks,
Natália

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivana Friis Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mozy Oct 5, 2008

Mozy Home - I think the first 2GB are free, I use it, and I had a laptop die on me, very easy to retrieve my files.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 04:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
mozy indeed Oct 5, 2008

For up to 2 GB it is widely considered the best free solution. And paying services aren't really better either.
Of course you can pay if you want more than 2GB.

You do need to download a client software that runs in the background but it's not given me any troubles yet. It can do autobackups when the computer is idle, and you can also manually start a backup with 3 clicks.

Edit: USB keys are nice in case you accidentally delete something, but a virus couls kill the files on those along with the originals on your hard drive. Then you'd be SOL.
Mozy is just much less hassle and more security. Being offsite can't hurt, either.

[Edited at 2008-10-05 11:07]

gccAlex  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
here is some more solutions Oct 5, 2008

Hi,
Look at these options here:
Spideroak at - https://spideroak.com/
and Dropbox - http://www.getdropbox.com/
both are very good solutions. I'm using it. No complains whatsoever.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2008-10-05 14:04]

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 19:16
English to Russian
+ ...
Carbonite Oct 5, 2008

I have Carbonite. I used it once to restore everything after I had to re-format my hard drive, and I'm very happy with it.

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Any UK providers? Oct 5, 2008

This is something I've been thinking I should do (and failing miserably!) for a while. I just had a quick experiment with Mozy and it's clear that my files are way over the free limit. Whilst their monthly fee ($4.95, I think) seems quite reasonable, I just wondered whether anyone can recommend a UK provider so I can avoid exchange costs.

Many thanks.

Claire

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 21:16
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
SkyDrive Oct 5, 2008

They offer 5 GB free (it has to come from Microsoft!)

http://skydrive.live.com/

Saludos

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 23:16
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but ... Oct 6, 2008

Jorge Payan wrote:

They offer 5 GB free (it has to come from Microsoft!)

http://skydrive.live.com/

Saludos

... it's an on-line disk space, not a back-up system, so you'll have to transfer your files manually;

... you can only send 5 files at a time;

... and each file can be a max. of 50 MB, which is a significant limitation even if you use file compression.

MediaMatrix

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Online backup as a supplementary backup method. Oct 6, 2008

Claire Cox wrote:

This is something I've been thinking I should do (and failing miserably!) for a while. I just had a quick experiment with Mozy and it's clear that my files are way over the free limit. Whilst their monthly fee ($4.95, I think) seems quite reasonable, I just wondered whether anyone can recommend a UK provider so I can avoid exchange costs.

Many thanks.

Claire

Hi Claire,

You can pay the Mozy fee on an annual basis if you want. You not only get a small rebate, but also avoid recurrent exchange fees.

I would also give a word of warning against unknown and/or free online backup service hosters: remember that it is your business data that you want to keep both safe and private.

Carbonite and Mozy have been around for years of not decades, and their reputation is not to be questionned. Others might very well decide to close their service without prior warning and with no way to delete your data beforehand, and/or selectively prune the backed up data for marketing/spamming purposes. Consistency in backup performances requires networking infrastructures than most of those brand new and shiny startups simply spawned out of the void can't afford. So, review the different offers with care.

That said, the peace of mind given by an online backup solution as a supplementary backup solution is invaluable.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other backup strategies Oct 6, 2008

Denis HAY wrote:

That said, the peace of mind given by an online backup solution as a supplementary backup solution is invaluable.

Kind regards,
Denis Hay

Hi Denis,

what is your complete backup strategy ....would you mind telling me?

Thanks,
Natália

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Other backup strategy Oct 6, 2008

My email provider (web.de) allows unlimited storage, so I simply keep copies of my incoming and outgoing mails there, in one folder per client.
Uploading large files only for backup would take me too much time.

Harry

[Edited at 2008-10-06 12:03]

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
External hard drive Oct 6, 2008

This is what we use: http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-drives/maxtor-onetouch-4-plus.html

We have the 1 TeraB model, and it works very well. You can schedule periodic backups, or just push the single button it has, and it synchronizes all your data (i.e., copies only the new/modified files).

If something happens, I can plug it to any computer via USB (or firewire, which is faster).

But I'm also thinking on an online system, as this gadget is not fireproof.

andrés

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Anyone knows where I can use my own backup software? Oct 6, 2008

I would like a provider where I don't need to use their software but mine instead. Do you know anyone?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-10-06 16:58]

German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your own server/domain? Oct 6, 2008

RNAtranslator wrote:

I would like a provider where I don't need to use their software but mine instead. Do you know anyone?

You should be able to do so, if you have your own domain and lots of space....

What software do you use?

Nat

RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Planning a good backup system Oct 6, 2008

ncfialho wrote:

RNAtranslator wrote:

You should be able to do so, if you have your own domain and lots of space....

What software do you use?

Nat

Right now, copy and paste. I plan to implement a serious backup system with the aid of programs like rdiff-backup or backuppc. You can recover older versions of your files in case you discover too late that you made a mistake some days ago. But AFAIK these programs are Linux only.

Of course, a translator MUST ALWAYS encrypt everything with a strong cipher algorithm and (this is very important) a good password.

Sorry for the title of my former post; I wanted to say: "Anyone KNOWS where I can use..."

[Edited at 2008-10-06 16:49]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Backup System

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search