Is it possible to put up obligatory fields for the job posters to be filled before posting a job?
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
Jun 13, 2003

The job postings are more often than not laconic and lack in detail. Just to cite an example: See http://www.proz.com/job/37930. The poster just says: I have some files to be done by monday. Please indicate your email address when bidding.
OK, madam, but then what is the word count and what is the rate offered by you? When we bid directly or through Proz.com, don't you know that it will be through email only and that you will obviously get our email id? What sort of files, Word, Access, PowerPoint etc.?
Here is my suggestion. Posters should identify themselves properly along with the relevant job details and their other details including postal address, telephone and fax numbers etc.
Sometime back one of my unfortunate colleagues responded to a poster giving a Hotmail id. A good work gone without remuneration. At least if they give name and telephone number and address it might be possible to see whether the telephone numbers match the address given and so on.
It is here that Proz.com should step in and create the obligatory fields without filling which the job cannot be posted at all. Even though Proz.com has made it clear time and again that the arrangements between the posters and the translators do not concern Proz.com, I feel that with my suggestion some of the unworthy posters can be eliminated. If the poster is an agency, he may also asked to give his registration number in the concerned commercial registers.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:07
English to German
+ ...
Work in progress Jun 13, 2003

Narasimhan,
You address a valid concern that has been recognised by site staff, Jobs Area coordinators and moderators.

We're currently in the process of revamping the way jobs are placed and accepted through ProZ.com; although some initial steps have been completed, there's quite a lot of work to be done. Also, our first priority was to enhance the functionality of the Blue Board (which, with the great help of Boyan at ProZ.com, we're about to complete). Some of these improvements are already visible: we now have the tools to edit BB entries, manually link jobs to BB entries (which, BTW, I've just done with the job you referred to...), and the jobs display on the ProZ.com home page now has direct links to profiles and BB entries.

Minimum standards for job postings is certainly something we're working on - we appreciate your patience while work continues.

Best regards, Ralf

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 08:07
German to English
WHEW! Jun 13, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

(which, BTW, I've just done with the job you referred to...),

Whew, Ralf, saved by circumstance. I applied for that job and thank goodness the poster took someone cheaper. Unfortunately, the link to the BB wasn't there when the job was open to bids. I hope the proZ bidder that got the job will soon become aware of what s/he will certainly have to deal with...

[Edited at 2003-06-13 13:08]

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Congragulations Sylvie Jun 13, 2003

I was indeed saddened to see that some people (7?) had already bid. Thank God at least one has been saved.
But really, the job posting had everything to indicate that it was not alright. The poster did not seem to have any Proz.com profile and that is already point number one. Plus the details were missing and she was so casual about everything. Well, I can go on but you need no further convincing. Have a great weekend.

sylvie malich wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

(which, BTW, I've just done with the job you referred to...),

Whew, Ralf, saved by circumstance. I applied for that job and thank goodness the poster took someone cheaper. Unfortunately, the link to the BB wasn't there when the job was open to bids. I hope the proZ bidder that got the job will soon become aware of what s/he will certainly have to deal with...

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Should also mention... Jun 13, 2003

That even if you are selected for a bid, you certainly have the right to decline, should you discover any problems. I have done exactly this on one occasion (with this person/agency, no less - there were some pretty terrible agency name-changing games going on).

R.
==
sylvie malich wrote:

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree it will save everyone time. Jun 13, 2003

More information about the actual identity & correct history of the job posters will save everyone time. I remember being told recently by an agency that it could only offer 0.02 to 0.04USD/word after 60 days despite the fact it was very urgent and despite the agency nevertheless requesting applicants to send in their rates. (Why?? In case they were even lower??).
I'm delighted this is being addressed.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:07
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Job postings frustrating Jul 15, 2003

I find the job postings very frustrating, because half the time they are already closed and the other half the time they don't provide enough information. In my several years of membership I have bid only about a dozen times and never did get a job. Furtunately, I have my own clientele and I didn't join ProZ for the job postings. I joined ecause I find the KudoZ questions challenging, the forums interesting, and it gives me a sense of belonging to a community of fellow professionals.

I'm glad to hear that proZ.com is making changes in the job postings - it is much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to put up obligatory fields for the job posters to be filled before posting a job?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search