Fabio Salsi  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:29
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 29, 2008

Hi,

Does anyone have info on how to work as an independent (resident) translator in Peru? (legal requirements, taxes, etc)

Fabio

Direct link Reply with quote

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:29
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
4th category Oct 29, 2008

Hi Fabio.

First of all, you need to get a taxpayer identification number - RUC (Registro Unico de Contribuyente), and register as 4th category (independent professional). For this, you need to have a valid DNI or a Foreign Resident Card.

With that, you can issue "recibos por servicios profesionales" (not invoices, but similar), and a certain percentage is retained by the company you're issuing that receipt for (10%, I believe). Those receipts must be printed by a SUNAT-authorized printing workshop.

You can get more information from the SUNAT website: http://www.sunat.gob.pe.

[Editado a las 2008-10-29 17:01]

Fabio Salsi  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:29
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i fpund most of the info I needed Nov 4, 2008

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Hi Fabio.

First of all, you need to get a taxpayer identification number - RUC (Registro Unico de Contribuyente), and register as 4th category (independent professional). For this, you need to have a valid DNI or a Foreign Resident Card.

With that, you can issue "recibos por servicios profesionales" (not invoices, but similar), and a certain percentage is retained by the company you're issuing that receipt for (10%, I believe). Those receipts must be printed by a SUNAT-authorized printing workshop.

You can get more information from the SUNAT website: http://www.sunat.gob.pe.

[Editado a las 2008-10-29 17:01]

Hi Edwal,

thanks for the hint I managed to find most of the information I need on the sunat site. I just need to find out what, if any, are the "other" taxes a freelance has to pay (essalud, afp, impuesto de solidariedad, etc) beside income tax.

Fabio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance status in Peru

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search