Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The great 2009 Jan 1st airport lounge thread (we'll all move to the best country for translators)
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:47
English to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2008

Ok, this is a question that must have been posted many times on Proz, but I didn't find anything that gathered all comparative data in a synthetic way, so I propose this in the form of a little game.

The game is this: We have decided that on the first of January 2009, we will all move together in the country in the world that is best for translators. Everybody. Together. Definitively. We will leave everything behind. We will live in the same town.

So we must reach a gen
... See more
Ok, this is a question that must have been posted many times on Proz, but I didn't find anything that gathered all comparative data in a synthetic way, so I propose this in the form of a little game.

The game is this: We have decided that on the first of January 2009, we will all move together in the country in the world that is best for translators. Everybody. Together. Definitively. We will leave everything behind. We will live in the same town.

So we must reach a general agreement before 2009, January the 1rst: which country?

The rules of the game are only two rules in fact:

1) when you post you write only the name of the relevant country in the post title

2) when you post you talk about only one country in the same post

Those who respect the rules will get free plane tickets.

OK everybody? Luggage packed? Ready to go? Everybody to the airport lounge right now !!!!!!!!!!!
Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
La France ! Nov 3, 2008

lucky duck, you won't even have to move!

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:47
English to German
+ ...
Near the equator in 2000 m altitude Nov 3, 2008

Very low cost of living and the greatest climate the whole year round.

(Ok, I breached both rules, but I wouldn't get a free valid ticket anyway.)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 20:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Puerto Rico Nov 3, 2008

Translating from Spanish to English only. Most of the clients know that they have to have their texts in English, and that it's hard to write good English. But most of them are bilingual enough to be familiar with the standard English terminology and phraseology in their field, and can be very helpful when the translator is stuck.

And the climate is great, unless you like shoveling snow for a third of the year.

Tsogt Gombosuren
Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:47
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Australia Nov 4, 2008

Well-paid and laid-back lifestyle.

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
France Nov 4, 2008

Paris, since Paris c'est la France...;-)

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:47
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Crete, Greece Nov 4, 2008

You can always leave your windows open, because the climate is wonderful.
And you can always leave your door open even when you are not home, since you need not fear intruders.
A fresh fish with some French fries, a Greek salat and a little wine, seated in a friendly taverna with a fantastic sea view is an everyday pleasure for as little as 12-15 Euro.
I won't need any free ticket!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Guadeloupe Nov 4, 2008

A tropical Euro zone - what more could you want?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
United States of America Nov 4, 2008

My sincere opinion. I would not suggest Spain, as customers don't respect translators enough and are not ready to pay a fair price for a good translation.

Taxes are ridiculously high in Spain and there is very little control of politicians: they do as they wish and raise the taxes whenever they feel to replace their 1-year old big Audi with leather upholstery.

I of course love my home country, but see that the tax and politicial situation here is not ideal for translato
... See more
My sincere opinion. I would not suggest Spain, as customers don't respect translators enough and are not ready to pay a fair price for a good translation.

Taxes are ridiculously high in Spain and there is very little control of politicians: they do as they wish and raise the taxes whenever they feel to replace their 1-year old big Audi with leather upholstery.

I of course love my home country, but see that the tax and politicial situation here is not ideal for translators (or any other professionals really) at the moment.
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:17
German to English
Well.... Nov 4, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Taxes are ridiculously high in Spain and there is very little control of politicians: they do as they wish and raise the taxes whenever they feel to replace their 1-year old big Audi with leather upholstery

....but is the United States of America any different? I suppose politicians over there don't drive Audis, but otherwise...I wonder...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trying not to be off-topic, but... Nov 4, 2008

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:
....but is the United States of America any different? I suppose politicians over there don't drive Audis, but otherwise...I wonder...

In the US I would pay 5% less income taxes compared to Spain; and VAT does not exist there (16% in Spain now; sales tax averages 6% in the US); in Spain I am forced to pay Eur 240 every month for a meager pension when I retire and as health insurance. I could use that money much better in private funds and private health insurance, but I am forced to pay here; and here we have tons of other little taxes, for instance 70% of petrol tax and similar niceties. So all in all, I would be far better off in the US.

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
El Dorado Country Nov 4, 2008

The place where wealth could be rapidly acquired. So we would have a lot of free time and enough time for weekly power powwows.
Climate is not important because I - as a German - know how to keep us warm and our fellows from the subtropical side of life know how to cool down.
Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
In the US I would pay 5% less income taxes compared to Spain; and VAT does not exist there (16% in Spain now; sales tax averages 6% in the US);

What about the Canaries then, Tomas? Even 5% like in the US. Mild climate and we could grow a lot of fruits and vegetables in our translators community.:-)

Saludos
Estefania

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Canaries... Nov 4, 2008

Tuliparola wrote:
What about the Canaries then, Tomas? Even 5% like in the US. Mild climate and we could grow a lot of fruits and vegetables in our translators community.:-)

No, thank you, for a number of reasons, the main one being that islands are surrounded by water.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eldorado Nov 4, 2008

I find the suggestion of Tuliparola excellent.

Personally, I would like Eldorado to offer very low taxes and very high standards of public services.

For example, free dental and free optic in medical services, free optic fibers and mimo wifi in town equipment, no pollution and consumption at will, etc.

For all that I would be prepared to pay 1% of my income, because I want to keep the rest to buy things internationally on ebay, and I don't want to redistrib
... See more
I find the suggestion of Tuliparola excellent.

Personally, I would like Eldorado to offer very low taxes and very high standards of public services.

For example, free dental and free optic in medical services, free optic fibers and mimo wifi in town equipment, no pollution and consumption at will, etc.

For all that I would be prepared to pay 1% of my income, because I want to keep the rest to buy things internationally on ebay, and I don't want to redistribute my wealth in the economy of my residence country.

All this is so obvious, I wonder why those stupid politicians have not invented Eldorado yet...

As for the weather, I want a hot climate but I want to ski. Like in Dubai. But I want to ski for free, of course. Like in Banff.
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
Let's all go there Nov 4, 2008

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

All this is so obvious, I wonder why those stupid politicians have not invented Eldorado yet...

A while ago I found a poem I must have copied when when I was young idealistic teenager (i.e. a long time ago). Just for fun I translated it to English.

To me it describes the society most people seem to be seeking. Some more than others...

I've got no idea about copyright as regards the original, but just had to upload my quick translation after reading Arnaud's posting. Enjoy.

BTW - this was a very quick translation and I've already found typos

[Edited at 2008-11-04 18:57]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The great 2009 Jan 1st airport lounge thread (we'll all move to the best country for translators)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »