Price for writing
Thread poster: xxxwonita
xxxwonita
China
Local time: 02:48
Nov 25, 2008

Lately a client wants me to write some marketing materials for him in Chinese. I have no idea how to charge for writing based on the number of words. I don’t want to charge per hour, because jobs like this will take as many hours as the client gives me.

Given I translate for 50 Cents per word in the source language, how much should I charge per word for writing a text? In translating from English/German into Chinese, the number of the words in the target language can be twice as many/much (I'm not sure which word is correct here) as in the source. Roughly, I can calculate 200 Chinese words/characters out of 100 German/English words.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:48
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Helpful Link Nov 25, 2008

Hi,

As you're in Germany, you might find this info helpful:

http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_volltext.php3?si=492c4e7a9c657&id=4368f47e5632b&akt=empfehlungen_empfehlungen&view=&lang=1

(BTW, 1 Normseite = 30 lines x 50 - 55 characters)

Best,

Christa

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price for writing

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search