Can one ask for freework and pose conditions in the same breath?
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
English to Tamil
+ ...
Jun 30, 2003

I draw the attention to the job posting http://www.proz.com/job/38811. It is mentioned therein:
"Job: free translation for a non-profit org.
The job poster has restricted quoting to platinum members until 10:36pm". This really takes the cake. They want free work and give stipulations to boot. The standard Proz.com announcement follows:
To have full access to this and future job postings, upgrade to platinum. No thanks. I am reminded of a libel case prosecuted by the famous lawyer Louis Nizer, wherein talking about the libelling defendant going in for more and more appeals, he writes. "Money was no objective. They had none".
By the way what is to be quoted? Perhaps the tenderers have to pay for doing the translation and the highest bidder wins?

[Edited at 2003-06-30 14:51]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 15:58]

[Edited at 2003-10-11 01:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Chiara Yates  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:42
English to Italian
+ ...
I was just about to post about this Jun 30, 2003

I was just about to post about this! And found your message. I think it's quite ridiculous that someone posting for a free translations puts restrictions! I totally agree with you.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Proz.com staff Jun 30, 2003

I think I made a bloomer. My original title was changed and I felt that it did not reflect faithfully my viewpoint. After writing my views I clicked and lo, the entire first posting changed. I just wanted to put the second posting below the first posting. But I seem to have goofed. Could something be done to bring it back and my later view enterd as a second posting. I am asking this because as such the posting title does not make any sense.
I think the mistake I made was to have clicked on the quote field to my own posting instead of reply field. Sorry once again. If it is not possible can a suitable title be put to the first posting keeping in view my clarifications?

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Please write a descriptive subject line and I will post it Jun 30, 2003

Hi,

Sorry that the subject line as I wrote it was not reflective of your point. Please tell me how you would like it and, if it is sufficiently descriptive, I will enter it.

I hope you can understand that your original subject line, "this takes the cake", does not help visitors to the home page, or people searching the archives, to understand the content of the thread.

(On the other hand, I have to agree that it does take the cake!)

And by the way, I believe what you did is Edit your posting. You could also do that again, and then you would not require my intervention.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks henry, I followed your advice Jun 30, 2003

This posting is done after my email to Henry suggesting another title. Then I had second thoughts and re-edited my first posting giving another title, which I feel is more acceptable. Now I feel some semblance of order is there. Still if Henry feels that the title requires changing, he can by all means do so. I have already made my point clear and am sure Henry's title if he gives will be representative of the same.

Henry wrote:

Hi,

Sorry that the subject line as I wrote it was not reflective of your point. Please tell me how you would like it and, if it is sufficiently descriptive, I will enter it.

I hope you can understand that your original subject line, "this takes the cake", does not help visitors to the home page, or people searching the archives, to understand the content of the thread.

(On the other hand, I have to agree that it does take the cake!)

And by the way, I believe what you did is Edit your posting. You could also do that again, and then you would not require my intervention.

Grace Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:42
Member (2003)
Italian to English
Please bear in mind that the restriction is the default setting Jun 30, 2003

I don’t think the job poster actually chose to restrict bidding to platinum members. I am the one member to date who has placed a bid for the job. I have never before placed a bid on Proz because I have more than enough (paying) work to do but today I decided to do so because I thought I might do some voluntary work and because the subject matter interests me. The job poster contacted me and has written to me only in Italian. You must remember English is not the first language of all those posting jobs. I think the default setting of “accept bids from guests, but only after twelve hours” was left as it was because the poster, quite frankly, did not understand what it meant. I don’t think they are ingrates, I think they don’t have a perfect command of the English language. If they did, why would they bother to advertise for a translator?

Perhaps the default setting should leave the bidding open to everyone and then posters would have to actually, and knowingly, choose to exclude guest bids.

[Edited at 2003-06-30 19:46]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:14]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:15]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:17]

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A very good suggestion Jul 1, 2003

It has been repeatedly said that the the restriction of the jobs to the platinum members is as per the choice of the job poster. But if the restriction is the default setting, this changes the entire complexion of things. Perhaps many non-English posters had just left the default settin prevail, due to ignorance of English. But I don't think Proz.com will be in a mood to change the default as suggested by you and I do not blame them. Nevertheless this clarification would have been better off coming from Proz.com.

Grace Anderson wrote:

I don’t think the job poster actually chose to restrict bidding to platinum members. I am the one member to date who has placed a bid for the job. I have never before placed a bid on Proz because I have more than enough (paying) work to do but today I decided to do so because I thought I might do some voluntary work and because the subject matter interests me. The job poster contacted me and has written to me only in Italian. You must remember English is not the first language of all those posting jobs. I think the default setting of “accept bids from guests, but only after twelve hours” was left as it was because the poster, quite frankly, did not understand what it meant. I don’t think they are ingrates, I think they don’t have a perfect command of the English language. If they did, why would they bother to advertise for a translator?

Perhaps the default setting should leave the bidding open to everyone and then posters would have to actually, and knowingly, choose to exclude guest bids.

[Edited at 2003-06-30 19:46]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:14]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:15]

[Edited at 2003-06-30 21:17]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Good point about the default Jul 1, 2003

The data does seem to suggest that outsourcers are leaving the default in place. It is unclear how much thought is going into this.

Given the empirical data, I think the option to "limit to platinum members for 12 hours" is the appropriate default in the major language pairs, because it may result in the best, most manageable, client experience. In the non-major pairs, however, it may detract from the results.

We will discuss this internally and make a decision.

English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Enough time has passed for Proz.com to take an internal decision Oct 11, 2003

Hello Henry,
Accept at the outset my heartiest congrats on your getting a very welcome addition to your family.
Now coming to this thread. Since the last posting on this thread, a lot of ideas have been exchanged on the subject of this default setting in other threads as well.
I would like to make the following suggestions.
1. I fully understand the Proz viewpoint about giving more exposure to the platinum members. It is just requested that the default setting be in the respective languages at the appropriate column in the job posting forum.
2. A brief para of the implications of various choices for this setting may be set forth. For example, while the default setting helps in filtering frivolous offers, it does deprive the poster of enough choice in the event of rare language pairs and in the case of urgent works. Hence my suggestion vide this point.
Ciao,
Narasimhan Raghavan
Henry wrote:

The data does seem to suggest that outsourcers are leaving the default in place. It is unclear how much thought is going into this.

Given the empirical data, I think the option to "limit to platinum members for 12 hours" is the appropriate default in the major language pairs, because it may result in the best, most manageable, client experience. In the non-major pairs, however, it may detract from the results.

We will discuss this internally and make a decision.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can one ask for freework and pose conditions in the same breath?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search