Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am faced with the possibility of doing my first translation for a direct client in Spain and need some advice about the business side of things: how do I ensure payment and is there anything else I should be aware of?

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:15
French to English
direct client Feb 9, 2009

Just make sure that everything is set out in writing - ask them to send you a purchase order, or sign & stamp your quote. Make sure that all the basic information is clear (rate, delivery date, payment terms/who will bear cost of payment).

You might want to consider establishing your own "terms & conditions" and provide them along with your quote. I believe that you can get a template from IOL (I read that somewhere else on ProZ recently).

If it's a large project that
... See more
Just make sure that everything is set out in writing - ask them to send you a purchase order, or sign & stamp your quote. Make sure that all the basic information is clear (rate, delivery date, payment terms/who will bear cost of payment).

You might want to consider establishing your own "terms & conditions" and provide them along with your quote. I believe that you can get a template from IOL (I read that somewhere else on ProZ recently).

If it's a large project that will last for several weeks, you could consider asking for a partial upfront payment.

Something that I often do for new clients, whether direct or not - is to check out their website (does it look legit?), as well as their company registration number and VAT number to be sure they are valid and that the company actually 'exists'.

Of course there is no such thing as zero risk, it's up to you to determine what is acceptable when you take on work for a new client.
Collapse

Rod Brookes
Rod Brookes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
some Spain-specific information Feb 9, 2009

Edit: see below.

[Edited at 2009-02-10 07:51 GMT]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Er, this is a bit mixed-up Feb 9, 2009

Roderick Brookes wrote:

You need to get their financial address and financial identification number, because whether or not your client is an individual or a company (in which case they will have a CIF) will determine whether or not you deduct IRPF. There are plenty of postings here on this forum on what to include when writing a factura, so you can do a search for those.

Louise lives in the UK and should be charging UK VAT (or not, depending on her UK status), unless her client is listed in the VIES base.

No question about IRPF, as she is invoicing from the UK. (She can't collect tax returns from Spain and shouldn't be paying witholding taxes to Spain). Any taxes she should be paying go to her home government.

Her invoice should reflect her name, address and trade registration number.

Don't forget to specify payment terms

[Edited at 2009-02-09 21:47 GMT]

Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:15
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
weekly or every two weeks Feb 10, 2009

Louise Souter wrote:

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am faced with the possibility of doing my first translation for a direct client in Spain and need some advice about the business side of things: how do I ensure payment and is there anything else I should be aware of?

In my case, I negotiated to do a small amount of work and required to be paid weekly or every two weeks first. Later on, my client often pay me monthly whenever I request him.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Make sure that you maintain perfect documentation of every job Feb 10, 2009

This is not luxury - it's a necessity.

Who did the proofreading, when was the job delivered, making a backup copy, etc.

All the stuff that an agency would take out of your hair.

Rod Brookes
Rod Brookes  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
Apologies Feb 10, 2009

Er, this is a bit mixed-up

Louise lives in the UK and should be charging UK VAT (or not, depending on her UK status), unless her client is listed in the VIES base.

Apologies, obviously I assumed she was based in Spain for some reason, but I was wrong.

... See more
Er, this is a bit mixed-up

Apologies, obviously I assumed she was based in Spain for some reason, but I was wrong.

[Edited at 2009-02-10 07:51 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perfect Feb 10, 2009

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Yes, I would have recommended everything as in your comment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First translation for direct client

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »