Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:43
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

and it may have gotten into the agent's hands through illegal means (it is just a gut feeling). Think of blueprints, governmental tests and approvals, issued to the company X, and I as yet have to see what my counterpart Y has to do with X.

How can I ask Y to disclose the source of the information / state how it was obtained and to what purpose the translation without breaking any china?

Thank you in advance

Vito

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:43
French to German
+ ...
What do your GT&C say about that? Feb 9, 2009

Mine state that the client:

1) is supposed to have appropriate rights as per having the texts translated;
2) the translator has no obligation whatsoever to check if the requirement mentioned in 1) is met or not.

If my gut feeling tells me that I am dealing with proprietary texts I should not translate because I might get in trouble, I just don't accept the job.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-02-09 20:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem: the text to be translated may be proprietary

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search