Mistranslations leading to disasters
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:14
English to French
+ ...
Mar 28, 2009

On this forum, there have been discussions of professional insurance and real-life stories of translators being responsible for messages lost in translation resulting in serious consequences.

I am wondering if you can tell us about stories of such disastrous consequences. I am not necessarily looking for stories of translators being sued for the consequences of mistranslation and stories where the disastrous consequences went as far as causing death. I am interested in stories in general where a mistranslation has caused misunderstandings between governments, delays in trials, people taking unnecessary risks, etc.

If a friend of a friend of yours has been through this kind of trouble, let's read about it!icon_wink.gif Bonus points if you can post links to newspaper stories and such. A typical example would be http://english.siamdailynews.com/asia-news/eastern-asia-news/taiwan-news/brochures-mistranslation-raises-ire-of-aborigines.html

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post this, so please feel free to move this if need be.

Thanks!

Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mistranslation in Japanese surrender in WWII Mar 28, 2009

http://books.google.es/books?id=JTvdhvkVAB0C&pg=PA120&lpg=PA120&dq=world%20war%20II%20japan%20mistranslation&source=bl&ots=ZMz_J0dJzQ&sig=QmH_C9r1RFgofcz2IlWhZbUff4o&hl=es&ei=BevNSanfL5KosAbSncTvDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA120,M1

Or, at least, this is what they lead us to believe.

Alfredo

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mistranslations leading to disasters

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search