"Are you available?" - A ProZ pop-up window can mean Business...
Thread poster: xxxCHENOUMI

xxxCHENOUMI  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Aug 11, 2003

Two weeks ago, I got a pop-up message asking me :
Are you available?
. Although I was about to log out from the site, I answered:
Yes, I have a few minutes.
. I thought it was going to be a short 'chat' session with a fellow translator.

I waited 3 to 5 minutes, and I received no reply. I made no assumption, except thinking that perhaps the Instant Message system was playing tricks on us.

The long-awaited reply would come on just a few minutes later, in the form of an email from someone identifying himself as the president of a company and inviting me to go and visit his website. After doing so, -- and being pleased with the company's presentation and goals -- I responded that yes, I was interested in offering my services to him.

What follows next was a formal contract, and my first assignment.

So, next time a window pops up on your screen, be prepared to spare a few minutes to answer back. The IM might not be coming from a presumed "Featured Pro", but from a "Business Pro" prowling around...
icon_wink.gif

[Edited at 2003-08-13 08:08]

Helen Johnson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:21
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
pop-up window can mean business Aug 11, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:

Two weeks ago, I got a pop-up message asking me :
Are you available?
. Although I was about to log out from the site, I answered:
Yes, I have a few minutes.
. I thought it was going to be a short 'chat' session with a fellow translator.

I waited 3 to 5 minutes, and I received no reply. I made no assumption, except thinking that perhaps the Instant Message system was playing tricks on us.

Later on, upon checking my mailbox, I got an email from someone identifying himself as the president of a company and inviting me to go and visit his website. After doing so, -- and being pleased with the company's presentation and goals -- I responded that yes, I was interested in offering my services to him.

What follows next was a formal contract, and my first assignment.

So, next time a window pops up on your screen, be prepared to spare a few minutes to answer back. It might not be from a presumed "Featured Pro", but from a "Business Pro" prowling around...
icon_wink.gif

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:21
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats! Aug 11, 2003

Great, Sandra!
I hope this is the beginning of a new and fruitful business relationship!

Regards,
Clarisa Moraña

xxxCHENOUMI  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hope so too. Aug 12, 2003

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Great, Sandra!
I hope this is the beginning of a new and fruitful business relationship!

So, do I, Clarisa.
After all, business relationships need to be taken care of properly, nurtured and validated on both parts. As far as I am concerned, I will endeavour to provide them with superior service, and do my work to the best of my abilities.

Thanks for your words.icon_smile.gif

Regards,
S.

xxxmedical
English to Spanish
+ ...
the other day Aug 16, 2003

I was visiting Bratt Pitt web site and then I receve a pop up invited me to have dinner with him but I was not available I have a Lunch with George Clooney, that is incredible chenoumi you are the only translator I know that receve so many works without doing nothing, like the other one you have receved after a topic in the french forum, as we say in Spanish, " puede ser verdad, pero yo no melo creo,demasiado facil.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Are you available?" - A ProZ pop-up window can mean Business...

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search