Thread poster: Saeid Hasani

Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:21
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
May 3, 2009

Dear All,

I have worked for a translation agency from Turkey on a single huge project and I offered them the best rates ever with the highest quality.
The payment term was agreed as usual 30 days after the date of invoice and the payment is now more than 40 days overdue. It is more than USD 1,000.00
They barely respond to my emails and try to ditch me up whenever they answer as usual: "we do our best.., there is no news from our client" though the transaction is not concluded between me and their client!!!!!!!
what shall I do?!

[Edited at 2009-05-03 13:00 GMT]

trebla
Canada
French to English
Long overdue payment May 3, 2009

Send them a lawyer's letter with costs.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
Start with the Blue Board May 3, 2009

Rate them in the Blue Board and submit a Non-Payment Report. If you rate an outsourcer 1 or 2, you will be automatically prompted for a non-payment report anyway. This way, you'll have warned other translators about this outsourcer. If they're not listed in the Blue Board, enter them yourself.

Trebla's suggestion is worth considering. You may also research if there's a body responsible for commercial relations with Turkish companies in your country and try to pressure them through that channel. Even if there's none, there should be a trade attache or something in the embassies/consulates. I know a couple of colleagues who tried such channels in the past with success.

And, take your case more seriously than this. Non-payment is not an Off-Topic (i.e. non-translation related) issue. It is the onnest of all topics (is there any such word?)icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck and don't give up!

===========

One more thing to add - it may not be my place to comment, but... outsourcers who ask for best rates are always the worst payers. It's always recommendable to steer clear of them and stick to the rates that are best to you.

[Edited at 2009-05-03 23:09 GMT]

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
Spanish to English
Yes but... May 3, 2009

I agree with the principle that your contract is not with the client, but with the agency. However if it was very large job, as one time I worked in a job involving millions of words, it may be impossible for the agency to have the finance to meet its commitment with you until the client has paid.

But I also agree that the agencies that pay the least are the least trustworthy, as, in my experience, are the ones that send a large translation as the first job to a translator they have never worked with before.

Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many Thanks May 4, 2009

Thank you all for your contributions, I will definitely follow the advice.
I will start with blue board, if do not get to anywhere with them, then the other one.

foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
Turkish Translator’s Association May 4, 2009

This is their web address. http://www.tuced.org.tr/

You can post a complaint on their BLACKLIST.

Don’t give up!

Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! May 5, 2009

I have just phoned them and they said some compromising sentences. I shall wait for another week, then I will certainly pursue it.
many thanks for the help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Long Ovedue Payment

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search