Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Warning: Possible new and very dangerous scam!
Thread poster: XX789 (X)
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
German to English
+ ...
My approach: always be skeptical May 26, 2009

Ana Irena Hudi wrote:
Thanks everyone for their contribution to this very useful topic, especially for us who are new in here So what is the best thing to do in such a situation - report it to Paypal?

Because email is, unfortunately, used frequently for criminal purposes (scamming and phishing), my general approach to every email that I receive is:

(1) Assume it is some kind of fraud unless there is a specific reason why I should trust it. (the answer to this will depend on who appears to have sent it, the subject, the content, whether the sender knows my name)

(2) If it contains a link to click and the email is genuine, e.g. a newsletter that I have asked for, it's OK to click on it. If it might perhaps not be genuine, check where the link really goes: hold the mouse over it (without clicking) and look at the real target address if it appears in the status bar at the bottom of the window, or right-click it and look at the URL in Properties from the pop-up menu. (procedure might be different for Mac users). If you're satisfied after this and you think the result will be beneficial or at least interesting, click on it (or perhaps type the URL yourself into the browser address field).

(3) If you decide that you don't trust an email, the best action is usually to delete it without replying to it.

Oliver

[Edited at 2009-05-26 15:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Possible new and very dangerous scam!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »