Is there a standard Trados Matrix for repetition, matches, and fuzzies (especially fuzzy matches)?
Thread poster: hzhang

hzhang
Local time: 04:32
English to Chinese
May 11, 2009

Hello,

This has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the answer after many searches. Is there a standard Trados Matrix for repetition, matches, and fuzzies (especially fuzzy matches)? If so, what is it?

Thank you all in advance!

Sandra

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-11 19:30 GMT]

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Simple answer May 12, 2009

hzhang wrote:

This has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the answer after many searches. Is there a standard Trados Matrix for repetition, matches, and fuzzies (especially fuzzy matches)? If so, what is it?

No, there is no standard.

hzhang
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
average? May 12, 2009

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. May I ask what matrix you charge your clients? For ex, no match = 100% of the rate, etc...? We are trying to get an idea of the averages.

Thanks,
Sandra

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:32
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Please specify some details May 12, 2009

Most importantly: where does the TM come from? If it is the translator's own TM – or, which practically amounts to the same, if it is derived from the translator's work – then the TM can save some time, so a good case can be made for giving a discount for repetitions and fuzzy matches. If, on the other hand, the TM is supplied from any other source, quality issues may arise -- and, in my experience, they do arise in most cases. Depending on the quality, the amount of time needed to edit 100% matches may be quite different -- and in many cases, a re-translation may be necessary. In such extreme cases translators who may give a discount for fuzzy matches when using their own TM will give a discount only for repetitions.

If you are an outsourcer and you are looking for a long-term relationship with your client, you must try to ensure that the work is attractive in the long run for your translators. Imposing a firm pricing structure with an important fuzzy discount plus using a third-party TM is certainly not the way to go.

Attila

Mariana Hernandez  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Price Matrix Feb 28, 2012

Well, unfortunately I am still quite in the dark regarding price matrix, and I notice most agencies and outsources ask translators to provide one when applying for a job.

I have been working with CAT for a short time, and mostly at the demand of specific agencies who have already established their flat and repetition rates. I therefore don't know what to say when a poster asks me to provide my price matrix.

Here is an example of a poster's request:
"New words:
Fuzzy:
Repetitions:
Hourly:"

Another one asks:
"Please also provide Trados matrix."

I am quite frankly at a loss as to what to answer and would be extremely grateful if someone could shed some light on the issue.

Kind regards,

Mariana

[Edited at 2012-02-28 13:58 GMT]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados matrix Feb 28, 2012

I usually just give a flat rate for each individual product taking the usual factors into consideration and then let the company concoct any scheme or matrix they need that makes them happy.

[Edited at 2012-02-28 14:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a standard Trados Matrix for repetition, matches, and fuzzies (especially fuzzy matches)?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search