Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Problems with an agency in Latvia
Thread poster: Assimina Vavoula

Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
May 22, 2009

One month ago I took over a small project from this agency and when I sent them a reminder for the payment of my fees they sent me the following message:

We need the hard copy of your invoice by post and and copy of your documents of self-employed person with tax-paid number.

Could you tell me if this is right or not? I may print a provisional invoice and send it by post but how can I issue an invoice authorized by our tax authorities as i am not sure whether i will be paid or not?
Moreover, what is this thing with the "copy of documents of self-employed person with tax-paid number"?
I think that they don't intend to pay me. What do you think?


 

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
No, I dont think so. May 22, 2009

I many countries it is obligatory to have a hard copy of an invoice. You just have to put your tax-payer number on it. This confirms your status as a self-employed person.

 

Carla Guerreiro  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:59
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Why didn't they ask you this before? May 22, 2009

Send these documents, anyway.
It proves your goodwill towards your client... I advise you to send a registered letter with a form for acknowledgment of receipt, so that they can't pretend they didn't receive it.

However, I find it strange that they ask you this only now. How did you get in contact with them?

[Editado em 2009-05-22 13:48 GMT]


 

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Answer from Latvia May 22, 2009

Assimina Vavoula wrote:

We need the hard copy of your invoice by post and and copy of your documents of self-employed person with tax-paid number.

Could you tell me if this is right or not? I may print a provisional invoice and send it by post but how can I issue an invoice authorized by our tax authorities as i am not sure whether i will be paid or not?


1) Generally here Tax Authorities accept also invoices from the EU just printed out from electronic form, but that may not be the case in all Tax Office departments in Latvia. All local invoices must be hard copy originals and if your client happens to be registered with some Tax Office Department which has little or no experience with abroad business, they may require hard copy of ALL invoices from him.

2) Yes, within EU generally you have to provide your client with your Self Employment certificate (scan is OK) and once a year hard copy of stamped and signed Residence certificate (a simple A4 form certifying that during this year for all tax purposes you are a resident of your country. Very easy to obtain, but you have to visit your Tax Office for that).

Clients in some EU countries somehow manage to live without these papers, but here in Latvia they are mandatory- if I cannot prove to our taxes that you're resident of another country, I may have to pay all taxes for you as if you're a Latvian resident- which will be some 54% of the total sum.

3) You must be missing something about "issue an invoice authorised by our tax authorities". No invoice should be authorised by any tax authorities. However, to issue one you have to be registered as self employed with your authorities and have such certificate- numbered and possibly containing your Tax Registration Number, Social Security Number, whatever- depends on your country.

HTH,

Uldis


 

Olga Judina  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:59
Latvian to Russian
+ ...
do not worry yet May 22, 2009

Assimina Vavoula wrote:

I think that they don't intend to pay me.


Not necessarily.
Firstly, they do need a hard copy of your invoice (signed), that is the law in Latvia.
Secondly, they need a copy of your self-employment or tax payer's certificate (mainly tax payer's ID) for accounting purposes. It does not mean you need to get any authorisation from tax authorities or anything like that. Here (in Latvia) when a someone registers as a self-empoyed person, he/she is assigned a tax payer's number and receives a certificate from the tax atuhorities. They want a copy of the same from you.
I have never heard of any local regualtion that would require obtaining proof that a subcontractor is a tax payer, but usually translation companies ask for a copy of tax payer's certificate.
Hope this helps.


 

Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot understand... May 22, 2009

I can provide them with my Tax Number. I have been registered for insurance purposes but I do not know what else I could send them.
The amount is very small to bother sending all this staff by post.
I have to remember not to do business with agencies in Latvia again, I think...


 

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sorry May 22, 2009

But if you are not registered as Self-employed in your Country, it seems to me you are working illegally and I don't see how you can blame an Agency in Latvia for that...

Uldis

Added- OTOH, if by Tax Number you mean that you have EU Tax number which can be validated here:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/vieshome.do?selectedLanguage=EN

then it is enough and nothing more is required from you.

U.

Assimina Vavoula wrote:

I can provide them with my Tax Number. I have been registered for insurance purposes but I do not know what else I could send them.
The amount is very small to bother sending all this staff by post.
I have to remember not to do business with agencies in Latvia again, I think...


[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-05-22 14:39 GMT]


 

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:59
French to German
+ ...
As you cannot name this outsourcer... May 22, 2009

in a public forum, I would like to suggest you to contact me.

I happen to know about a Latvian outsourcer who has very complicated payment routines and, unfortunately enough, some records for bad payment or nonpayment.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-05-22 14:36 GMT]


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never heard of that! May 22, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
2) Yes, within EU generally you have to provide your client with your Self Employment certificate (scan is OK) and once a year hard copy of stamped and signed Residence certificate (a simple A4 form certifying that during this year for all tax purposes you are a resident of your country. Very easy to obtain, but you have to visit your Tax Office for that).


I have been working for companies in many EU countries for over a decade and never heard of this. All they need to know is my VAT number!!


 

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:59
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, sure May 22, 2009

if you have one. Pleaase see the add-on to my above posting. However most freelancers we work with are not registered as VAT payers and then need for all these papers sets in.

Uldis

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
2) Yes, within EU generally you have to provide your client with your Self Employment certificate (scan is OK) and once a year hard copy of stamped and signed Residence certificate (a simple A4 form certifying that during this year for all tax purposes you are a resident of your country. Very easy to obtain, but you have to visit your Tax Office for that).


I have been working for companies in many EU countries for over a decade and never heard of this. All they need to know is my VAT number!!



 

Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WORKING ILLEGALLY??? May 22, 2009

I don't think so... I think that each country has its own regulations about self-employed people.
In Greece, we have to register to TEBE (INSURANCE FUND FOR SELF-EMPLOYED PEOPLE) and proceed to the startup with the Tax office. I have a tax registration number, books and records, an authorized stamp. That is all we need in Greece.
According to my accountant, everything is legal in my case.
Who knows about this agency?


 

Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WORKING ILLEGALLY??? May 22, 2009

In addition, I work as a translator since 1987. I have been audited by the Tax authorities more than once and there is nothing illegal in my business....

 

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:59
French to German
+ ...
Maybe... May 22, 2009

Assimina Vavoula wrote:

Who knows about this agency?


the BB at ProZ.com (it does as far as I have seen, and the reports match those from other sites).

Laurent K.


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not the customer's matter! May 22, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
But if you are not registered as Self-employed in your Country, it seems to me you are working illegally and I don't see how you can blame an Agency in Latvia for that...


Hm... I honestly think that the registered or not registered status of a freelancer is by no means the business of the customer. Each freelancer is responsible of ensuring that his official matters are in order. All the customer needs is a correct invoice with the freelancer's VAT number.

All in all, to me this looks like the company is delaying your payment with this excuse.


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why did you assume... May 22, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:
if you have one. Pleaase see the add-on to my above posting. However most freelancers we work with are not registered as VAT payers and then need for all these papers sets in.


I think Assimina has clearly declared that her business is perfectly legal and registered. Why did you claim that she is working illegally? Does not make any sense to me!!icon_frown.gif


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with an agency in Latvia

Advanced search







TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search