Thread poster: Sandrine Pouchain

Sandrine Pouchain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:50
Member (2008)
English to French
May 28, 2009

Dear translators,

I have a new client asking me to translate his web site. I have several questions for you, if you could help :

- how can I do to count the total number of words on the web site? Is there a software who could do it?

- how much should I charge for the translation plus the layout done on the site (compared to just a word document)? Any idea?

Many thanks for your help.

Sandrine.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two questions, two answers May 28, 2009

Sandrine Pouchain wrote:
- how can I do to count the total number of words on the web site? Is there a software who could do it?

1. Ask the client to send you the entire web site zipped. Then count the web site pages using an HTML counting tool.

2. I recently discovered FineCount, which is a free word count tool. The web site says it's free only for personal use but when you install it it says that it is also free for commercial use. I haven't used it but it looks pretty cool.

http://www.tilti.com/soft/finecount/

- how much should I charge for the translation plus the layout done on the site (compared to just a word document)? Any idea?

It depends how long it would take you to translate it. If you're going to do the layout manually (which is what it sounds like to me), then I'd suggest you charge four times your normal word rate. Perhaps when the client hears this, he'll be willing to send you the web site content as MS Word files, which will save him 75% of your rate.

If you use CAT tools, the CAT tool should be able to extract the text in such a way that it automatically takes care of the layout, which means it'll take you about the same amount of time for web pages than for MS Word files.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I guess you read this... May 28, 2009

http://www.proz.com/forum/french/135872-traduire_un_site.html

France
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 28, 2009

Thank you very much for your help.

I wish you a nice afternoon.

Cheers!

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
German to English
+ ...
My take May 28, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ask the client to send you the entire web site zipped. Then count the web site pages using an HTML counting tool.

Absolutely. With Sam.

It depends how long it would take you to translate it. If you're going to do the layout manually (which is what it sounds like to me), then I'd suggest you charge four times your normal word rate. Perhaps when the client hears this, he'll be willing to send you the web site content as MS Word files, which will save him 75% of your rate.

Manually? You are just translating, not doing the layout. Be careful, unless you write fluent HTML etc.

If you use CAT tools, the CAT tool should be able to extract the text in such a way that it automatically takes care of the layout, which means it'll take you about the same amount of time for web pages than for MS Word files.

I'd say even quicker...

Remember to quote for untranslateable objects such as graphics etc., which you will need to do as a word table.

HTH
Bonne chanceicon_smile.gif

barreiro04
Local time: 15:50
English to Spanish
Regarding the first point... May 28, 2009

Sandrine, I use a tool called TransAbacus (www.transabacus.com ) to get a word count for the website. Either you use this tool or any other one, remember to count not only the text displayed by your browser, but also the title, meta tags and alt text. (the tool I mentioned before counts these items, I guess other tools count them too).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doing the layout May 29, 2009

Textklick wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
If you're going to do the layout manually (which is what it sounds like to me)...

Manually? You are just translating, not doing the layout. Be careful, unless you write fluent HTML etc.

From the OP's post it seemed to me that she was going to do the translation either in HTML or in some WYSIWIG editor. In both cases, translation would take longer than in MS Word if you want to preserve layout.

I would not dream of translating an editable file by creating a fresh file and doing the layout from scratch, but I have met some rather good translators who prefer to do this. Perhaps it is because I use a CAT tool that helps protect formatting from me where needed. So, perhaps... if I had to translate a file with complex layout, without using a CAT tool, I would be tempted to translate from scratch too. After all, it is easier to work within your own formatting (which will be deliberately simple and easy to edit) than within the formatting applied by some client who didn't care about whether his file is easy to edit, as long as it looks good.

To the OP -- if you use CAT, you can charge less because you'll spend less time on formatting issues.

France
Member (2008)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all these advices! May 30, 2009

I know what to do now!

Have a very nice and sunny week-end.

Sandrine.

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
One more thing May 30, 2009

Sandrine:

If they want the HTML files translated, the links will be O.K. (unless you change them)!icon_wink.gif.

If the project is to be done in Wordicon_rolleyes.gif it can often happen that content is posted in the wrong place, links in the target language lead to source content, etc.

Offer them online testing of the site before it goes live. People appreciate that and prefer learning about possible foul-ups sooner rather than later.

Charge by time.

Bonne chance!icon_wink.gif
Chris

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
English to Russian
+ ...
enlaso translation tools May 30, 2009

I would recommend using this free package (rainbow and horizon). It helps to translate sites by extracting the content of web pages to text files and inserting it back after translation. The web pages have to be saved on your hard drive. The Rainbow software prepares a great wordcount statistics as well.

http://www.translate.com/Language_Tech_Center/Tools.aspx

++
edit

sorry for misleading you somehow..
The Rainbow 3 (preparation of the web pages for translating) and Horizon (management and viewing tool for translated web pages on a local hard drive) are now located here: http://www.translate.com/Language_Tech_Center/Tools/Tools_Archives.aspx

The translation of the text (content without tags) can be done either with the help of a CAT tool or without it, in an old-fashioned way, so that the translator could enjoy the pleasure of manual creativity.

[Edited at 2009-05-30 16:06 GMT]

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Layout? May 30, 2009

Sandrine Pouchain wrote:

What do you/the client mean by layout? Making sure that longer translated text don't "break out" of text fields? Or re-sizing/repositioning elements?

Even if this is the only "layout" the client requests (and it has nothing to do with word documents and their layout) you still need at least basic knowledge of html and css. Unless you have this I suggest you only offer to translate the html files or a word doc of the same.

The above is for static web pages only. If there are dynamic pages you'll also have to work with a number of other types of files which might have various constraints - particularly length.

Madeleine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of a web site

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search