Google AdWords etc. - does it work for you?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:58
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
May 28, 2009

Has anyone a positive experience running an advertisment campaign for their translation services website on Google AdWords or the like?

Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some thoughts May 28, 2009

Tomas Mosler wrote:
Has anyone a positive experience running an advertisment campaign for their translation services website on Google AdWords or the like?

I'm not sure, but what you might want to do is visit a few translators' web sites that have tracking tools on them, so you can see what keywords visitors used when they visited the site. From this you'd be able to figure out what keywords are better.

Example 1, example 2.

My concern with using Adwords for my site is that most people who type in the required keywords would likely be looking for free MT services and not for professional services.

[Edited at 2009-05-28 19:24 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
OK but May 28, 2009

Thanks, keywords would be no problem, but I am more interested in whether the system is efficient specifically for translators. I. e. if it is in general worth the money, or if it brings one client out of 1.000 dollar clicks. That's what I'm curious about; I need no details, I only would like to know whether it really helped someone.

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:58
English to Portuguese
Short answer: no May 28, 2009

Well, I tried it fow a few months.

It DID attract a lot of new visitors, but I wouldn't say it was a good investment. No increase in potential clients contacting me. Instead, I got a ton of emails containing weird messages, which led me to believe that most people attracted to my website mistake the contact form with an automated translation tool (when it clearly isn't).

$50 bucks a month down the drain. After 3 months, I gave up. The ProZ.com membership is a much bette
... See more
Well, I tried it fow a few months.

It DID attract a lot of new visitors, but I wouldn't say it was a good investment. No increase in potential clients contacting me. Instead, I got a ton of emails containing weird messages, which led me to believe that most people attracted to my website mistake the contact form with an automated translation tool (when it clearly isn't).

$50 bucks a month down the drain. After 3 months, I gave up. The ProZ.com membership is a much better investment.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google AdWords etc. - does it work for you?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »