Ecuador
Local time: 04:49
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2003

Hi fellow members,

http://www.proz.com/job/41964

Have you seen this job? I think it is some kind of hoax. I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project. It says that the rate is US$ 8 per word. Can you believe that?

I don't know if it's against Proz policies to comment on these issues. If it is, I apologize.
... See more
Hi fellow members,

Have you seen this job? I think it is some kind of hoax. I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project. It says that the rate is US$ 8 per word. Can you believe that?

I don't know if it's against Proz policies to comment on these issues. If it is, I apologize.

Thanks.

110 pages document

Spanish>English

Requerimientos del Postulante:

Job type: Potencial

Job description:

MS Word
Textos muestra (deberán ser traducidos por el traductor):

Formulario de Calificación No.3: Necesidades Básicas In-satisfechas

Necesidades Básicas ¿Se estaban satisfaciendo las necesidades básicas antes del desastre? Calificación desde 1 (no estba siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) ¿Están siendo satisfechas las necesidades en el presente? Calificar desde 1 (no está siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) Indicadores(Basados en aquellos de ‘Esfera’.
Volume and Pricing:

Volume: 44000 words

Price per unit: 8.00 USD per word

TOTAL: 352000.00 USD

Note added later: I contacted the person who posted the job and he/she said that the rate was US$ 0.08 per word, so the total is $ 3 thousand only.

Sorry

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:11]

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:13]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
Must be a typo. Aug 27, 2003

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc. wrote:

Hi fellow members,

Thanks.

110 pages document

Spanish>English

Requerimientos del Postulante:

Job type: Potencial

Job description:

MS Word
Textos muestra (deberán ser traducidos por el traductor):

Formulario de Calificación No.3: Necesidades Básicas In-satisfechas

Necesidades Básicas ¿Se estaban satisfaciendo las necesidades básicas antes del desastre? Calificación desde 1 (no estba siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) ¿Están siendo satisfechas las necesidades en el presente? Calificar desde 1 (no está siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) Indicadores(Basados en aquellos de ‘Esfera’.
Volume and Pricing:

Volume: 44000 words

Price per unit: 8.00 USD per word

TOTAL: 352000.00 USD

If not, count me in

Outsourcer will be contacted, for sure.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:27]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Obvious error Aug 27, 2003

Hi Patricia,
I think it is some kind of hoax.

I don't think so - quite obviously it's an erroneous entry.

I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project.

Of course these amounts are paid - but not for 44k words...

Nothing against the rules - next time you notice something like this, I suggest you contact the Jobs Area coordinators directly - thanks in advance.

Best regards, Ralf

PS I contacted the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:19]

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
two much... Aug 27, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Patricia,
I think it is some kind of hoax.

I don't think so - quite obviously it's an erroneous entry.

I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project.

Of course these amounts are paid - but not for 44k words...

Nothing against the rules - next time you notice something like this, I suggest you contact the Jobs Area coordinators directly - thanks in advance.

Best regards, Ralf

PS I contacted the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:19]
as someone said...!!

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
'magine that!!!! Aug 27, 2003

Typo or no typo, reading that beauty meant fresh air to my eyes, lately quite tired of seeing "zeropointzeroone/two" offers...
Let's keep dreamin' !
P

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
That's nothin' Aug 28, 2003

There was a job once in the PL-EN pair with 2.4 million (that's: million) words at 300 PLN (ca. 75 USD) per character (that's: character).

Do the math and see where that would get you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job 41964 pays over 300 thousand dollars

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »