TRANSLATED SRL
Italy
Local time: 04:45
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2009

Hello,

We need some suggestions regarding a new product.

http://mymemory.translated.net

- Search across million of professionally translated segments
- Rate quality of other translator's contribution.
- Create a TMX for any .doc and .html document (private beta, requires a Translated account)

Please contribute with suggestions to make it better.

Thank you!

Regards

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:45
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? Jun 11, 2009

Would this be of any interest to professional translators?

I entered "Hur mår du" - Swedish for "How are you" and got only three results that in any way related to Swedish - and the first one appears to have something to do with increased enzyme levels???

the other two:

"Mår" = "feel" becomes "mor" = "mother"

But on the plus side "hur" was translated as "how".

All the other results appear to relate to French wines "... du ...".

Back to the drawing board I think.

TRANSLATED SRL
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 12, 2009

Thank you,

One shot one bug! thank you!

I did the same search

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Concerns Jun 12, 2009

This raises a lot of questions on my end:

- Where does this material come from?
- Have the legal owners of these texts given their permission to use them or did you just grab them?
- If I ever find a translation that is clearly my work (or the property of any of my customers), who should I sue (the name and address of the company does not seem to appear on the site)?

Other than that, it looks like a good idea and I might use it as reference information if I am really stuck. I must say that the project looks very much like Google's Translator Toolkit, which makes me think of what will happen in the long run with your project.

Personally I would never upload a memory to your systems, since I have NDAs with most customers. That's why I wonder where all that content came from. Can you tell us, for our peace of mind?

[Edited at 2009-06-12 04:18 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
A new trend, it seems. Jun 12, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Other than that, it looks like a good idea and I might use it as reference information if I am really stuck. I must say that the project looks very much like Google's Translator Toolkit, which makes me think of what will happen in the long run with your project.

TAUS is quite the same. It seems that everybody wants to create huge, server-based TMs. Where does this lead us? To co-operative "translation systems"?

There is a lot to be defined *before* anything starts, among others the fact that terms such as "private TM" may have different meanings. On GTT, even private TMs may be used by G. in order to promote, improve or offer the Services...

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-06-12 05:23 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not uploading until I am ordered to Jun 12, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:
There is a lot to be defined *before* anything starts, among others the fact that terms such as "private TM" may have different meanings. On GTT, even private TMs may be used by G. in order to promote, improve or offer the Services...

That's exactly why I won't use, or upload any stuff to, such a system until my main customers order/instruct/beg me to do it. As many jobs I do are for privacy-sensitive companies and carefully planned campaigns, I don't see this happening in the near future.

TRANSLATED SRL
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sources and ownership Jun 12, 2009

Reply: Public available TMs, Alignment of Parallel Quality Web Pages, many contributions from translators and customers.

- Have the legal owners of these texts given their permission to use them or did you just grab them?

Reply: The user decide what to upload. Don't upload TMs for material that is not already of public domain (eg. content that is on the web).

Regarding web content we just index it like any other search engine.

- If I ever find a translation that is clearly my work (or the property of any of my customers), who should I sue (the name and address of the company does not seem to appear on the site)?

Reply: How can your memories get into the system if you don't upload them or publish them on the web?
In the event that your friend will stole your memories from your computer and upload them into Mymemory for the benefit of the community we will cooperate with the police to send him to the jailicon_smile.gif

Sorry for joking... There is a link for reporting abuse and Translated is a well known 10 years old translation company (Check our blue board).

In case you want to create a private archive of your TMs you have 2 options: private memories (We will not use them at all, not even MT training) and public memories with customer names automatically removed.

Hope this clarify

[Edited at 2009-06-12 04:18 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Further clarification please Jun 12, 2009

TRANSLATED SRL wrote:

Reply: Public available TMs, Alignment of Parallel Quality Web Pages, many contributions from translators and customers.

OK, but...:
- For publicly available TMs: Do you get a guarantee from their publishers that all content exists legally (with owner authorisation) in the memories, before adding them to your system?

- For memories given by translators: Do you get a written guarantee from translators that their end customers allow them to share the translations or you just take it for granted? What will happen if a company sees their content in your system without their permission? Wouldn't they sue you, as you don't have written proof that you are allowed to use the materials? Do you think they should sue the translator?

I mean content I have translated and that exists in publicly available PDF files or websites, and if know that the customer has strict copyright rules that do not permit the kind of text chopping you require for your project. Shouldn't you ask these companies before chopping their translations and feeding them into your database? How do you handle these things? How do you ensure that, should a company request a deletion, all affected segments will be removed?

[Edited at 2009-06-12 09:11 GMT]

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
And the rate you're willing to pay is? Jun 12, 2009

TRANSLATED SRL wrote:

3) Swedish -> English need to be populated, want to contribute?

I'm a professional translator as are most people on this site. As such I do not work for free (except for certain NGO's).

BTW, making a text publicly available on the web does not void copyright protection.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
What's the point? Jun 12, 2009

Let me get that straight: you want me to give away my expertise, my "working capital" gathered over the years, so that other translators, not so gifted, can use my words to do my jobs at a lower rate or maybe for free?

For some reason I do not feel very tempted...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My impression Jun 12, 2009

TRANSLATED SRL wrote:
We need some suggestions regarding a new product.
http://mymemory.translated.net

The impression I get is that most of your TMs are generated by alignment of multilingual web content, and that very little of it is actually submitted by translators. Are you hoping that the submitted component will grow eventually? Perhaps you can tell us what percentage of a number of language combination's content was submitted and what percentage of it was aligned.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So selfish!!! Jun 12, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:
Let me get that straight: you want me to give away my expertise, my "working capital" gathered over the years, so that other translators, not so gifted, can use my words to do my jobs at a lower rate or maybe for free?

This sounds so selfish! You surely have trained and worked hard all over your career as a translator to produce good translations to be shared with the world? I can't believe you want to keep all this for your self, with the strange idea that you deserve a competitive edge of some kind?

We should not be this short-sighted! Sharing all our knowledge and hard work is best.... for TRANSLATED SRL!icon_smile.gif

Charlie Bavington (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
This rings a bell Jun 12, 2009

A chap called Felipe Gutiez started a number of threads towards the end of 2008 on a similar topic.
If you go into the forum search and search on poster name Felipe G, you will soon spot the threads in question, they are the ones with dozens of posts. The idea was not universally popular!

And just because something is available on the web, that does not mean it is not protected by copyright. I can visit a public library and also see a great deal of stuff for free and even take it home - that does not give me the right to use it in an unrestricted way.
Felipe's threads did generate some discussion about the copyright status of TMs, which I am not sure ever got properly resolved.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Large grin on my face Jun 12, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Felipe's threads did generate some discussion about the copyright status of TMs, which I am not sure ever got properly resolved.

I now resolve it by not giving away my TMs to third parties and by avoiding the delivery of uncleaned files, which could possibly leveraged... at my own disadvantage!

Let them play the alignment game if they want to!icon_wink.gif(of course, this is half-way humoristic and I know that nothing is that simple when it comes to IP/copyright).

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-06-12 12:59 GMT]

Charlie Bavington (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
The root of the problem Jun 12, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:
I now resolve it by (...) avoiding the delivery

Genius.
This is where it all goes wrong.icon_smile.gif
From now on, I'm just going to read my translations out over the phone. And they'd better not try recording the call, either, else they will feel the full force of my legal hammer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Collaborative Translation Memory

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search