Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do I need a fax number to do business?
Thread poster: xxxArline Lyons

xxxArline Lyons  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:56
Japanese to English
Jun 19, 2009

Hello fellow translators,

I'm moving country, which means changing all my numbers and addresses, and wondering if I still need a fax number.

I've had a subscription to an online fax service for two years, and have never used it to send or receive anything.

I'm interested in knowing if other translators use fax at all, if you find it an essential backup, or if it depends on what kind of work you do or who you work with... please let me know if you find it valuable or not!

Many thanks
Arline

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Nope Jun 19, 2009

I don't have one and have never been asked for one. These days everything comes via e-mail.

Terry.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Jun 19, 2009

I don't, at any rate.

I cancelled my fax number about three years ago. I do still get the odd request to send PDF legal docs by fax, but I just ask the client to scan and send them. It may be different for translators who work for individual clients. I don't, I only work for law firms and agencies and they all have scanners.

In terms of backup, my Internet connection here in Portugal is very stable (and I have friends with different ISPs whom I could call on in a time of need, if that ever proved necessary).

Good luck with the move -- hope all goes smoothly!
Debs

[Edited at 2009-06-19 08:47 GMT]

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
No Jun 19, 2009

I've never used any fax and no client ever asked me to give/have a fax number...

Stéphanie

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 20:56
Turkish to English
+ ...
Not essential Jun 19, 2009

My last fax machine broke down about two years ago and I have not yet got round to buying a replacement. I think I have been caught out a couple of times when people have wanted to fax texts to me, but nowadays for the most part when clients only have a hard copy they scan it into a pdf of tif file rather than fax it. It is useful but not essential in my opinion.

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
use pamfax Jun 19, 2009

No, but if you need to send or to receive you can use internet-based Pamfax

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
No Jun 19, 2009

I still have a fax machine, but I can't remember the last time someone wanted to send me a job by fax. It's certainly at least a couple of years since it last happened.

Having said that, I do sometimes send back NDAs and the like by fax, but that's because it's less hassle than having to scan signed documents back into my computer to send by email.

[Edited at 2009-06-19 08:52 GMT]

xxxArline Lyons  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 19, 2009

Many thanks to Debs, Stéphanie, Lenah and Marie-Hélène for your replies!

Arline

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fax? Jun 19, 2009

What's that?
I'm joking of course. We do have a fax machine in the office and occasionally ask the spiders living in it to move a bit to the side when we have to send a personal fax. We very rarely send faxes for business. Probably 3-4 a year. You can clearly manage without the fax machine, as you can always go to the post office for that when you need it.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
copy machine Jun 19, 2009

I use my fax machine to make photocopies, and send faxes to one business partner who doesn't know how to use e-mail.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Fax and scanner Jun 19, 2009

Sometimes I'm asked to fax something (a document, whatever). I always reply that I would rather send a scan of the document (JPG or PDF) by email. I was never told that "no, you have to send it by fax".
The only fax I have is in my computer modem which I keep as backup in case my internet provider fails.

Pawel Skalinski

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fax2mail at least Jun 19, 2009

Arline Lyons wrote:
I've had a subscription to an online fax service for two years, and have never used it to send or receive anything. ... I'm interested in knowing if other translators use fax at all...

On a few occassions I've lost jobs because I have been unable to fax a signed NDA before the job commences, and it is not always practical to drive to a copyshop to send a fax. I can receive faxes through a free fax2mail service, and I have received faxes on occassion, but it is not common to receive jobs via fax. As I said, it's more common to be expected to send a fax. You do get mail2fax services, but they are usually not free. I can definitely recommend it. You do have a scanner, don't you?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Faxtastic Jun 19, 2009

I have been using Faxtastic - http://www.faxtastic.co.uk - for a few years and I am very happy with it. It is affordable, gives me flexibility of an email and my clients convenience of being able to send me a fax - surprisingly there are still some people who prefer to send documents via fax rather than email.

Cheers
Stanislaw

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I don't have one Jun 19, 2009

I have never had a fax machine and this has worked out fine, as nearly all my work is done by e-mail. On the rare occasions where a fax is necessary, I could just pop up to the local stationers and get a fax sent (at R$ 2 a sheet which is about 70p) - they receive fax as well.

However, fax is very much in fashion in Brazil, so I guess if you were going to open a translation agency it would be useful. It all depends on where you are going to live.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
To fax or not to fax? Jun 19, 2009

I use an Internet-based fax service and find it very convenient for sending out documents (fax as a substitute to a letter) as well as for receiving my TOS signed by clients.

The faster these come in and go out, the better it is - and my e-mail system doesn't have accurate solutions for each and every case.

Laurent K.

PS: btw, and at the risk of passing for an original, I don't send completed translations as e-mail attachments (no, in this case, I don't fax them either;))...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a fax number to do business?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search