Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jun 23, 2009

Dear all,

I would like to know if you are a telephone interpreter do you get paid some rate per minute for the stand by period when you are awaiting for an incoming call?
I got an offer to work for a UK based agency and I wanted to negotiate a fare rate.

Thank you very much for your replies!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Usually no Jun 23, 2009

They normally pay only for minutes you spent on phone which is why I have given up on telephone interpreting. There are only a couple of agencies that have got all the government contracts and they have a very strict price - take it or leave it. And the price usually is not very good either (you would get better pay as a bus driver). I found it difficult to fit into my day as I really do not like any distractions while I am translating and 10 minutes here and 12 minutes there are really not worth it.

Ines

Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 23, 2009

Thank you for your reply Ines!

I know it is not a very good paid job but I can fit it in my day so I will try.
Pity they do not pay even some kind of a minimum for the stand by time.

I know that some agencies do get the government contracts. Do you know how could I find which ones? I know one in London but they offered me a price twice less than another one which contacted me few days ago. So as you said they do not like to pay much:)

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone Interpreting

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search