Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:31
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jun 23, 2009

Dear all,

I would like to know if you are a telephone interpreter do you get paid some rate per minute for the stand by period when you are awaiting for an incoming call?
I got an offer to work for a UK based agency and I wanted to negotiate a fare rate.

Thank you very much for your replies!

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Usually no Jun 23, 2009

They normally pay only for minutes you spent on phone which is why I have given up on telephone interpreting. There are only a couple of agencies that have got all the government contracts and they have a very strict price - take it or leave it. And the price usually is not very good either (you would get better pay as a bus driver). I found it difficult to fit into my day as I really do not like any distractions while I am translating and 10 minutes here and 12 minutes there are really not worth it.

Ines

Silvina Gospodinova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 23, 2009

Thank you for your reply Ines!

I know it is not a very good paid job but I can fit it in my day so I will try.
Pity they do not pay even some kind of a minimum for the stand by time.

I know that some agencies do get the government contracts. Do you know how could I find which ones? I know one in London but they offered me a price twice less than another one which contacted me few days ago. So as you said they do not like to pay much:)

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone Interpreting

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search