BT Customer Street
Thread poster: Caitlin Stephens

Caitlin Stephens  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:16
German to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2009

I just wanted to warn people about a cold call I received today from BT Customer Street saying they had had a big increase in enquiries about German translation in the last 28 days and trying to persuade me to sign up for their search engine optimisation package, which they ask you to pay for then and there by credit card. I declined (though it was a high pressure sales pitch), and then searched for them on the internet and found many complaints about their tactics. See:
http://www.fsb.org.uk/discuss/forum_posts.asp?TID=1656&PN=1
One to be avoided I think...

Direct link Reply with quote

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:16
French to German
+ ...
Interesting link, thanks! Jun 24, 2009

We have some other companies (in France) which do so-called "one shot sales" in order to make you subscribe for an Internet presence and "top SEO ranking". As it appears from many complaints, the package is overpriced and you sign a contract for 48 months, said contract being linked to a credit line.
The whole thing costs no less than 7,200 euros - and that's the lowest price!

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-06-24 14:09 GMT]

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
They just called me too Jun 24, 2009

I couldn't make head or tail of it. They are selling some kind of service but I am far from sure it's relevant to me. I think they are going down the IoL website
Gillian

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Forward the email to British Telecom Jun 24, 2009

Just a thought, but I doubt this has anything to do with "BT" (although knowing their sales practices I can't be 100% sure).

If so, BT might have a case against this company using their well-known abbreviation so I suggest forwarding the email to them.

SEO is a complicated business. Keywords in your meta tags are just the starting point. How content is structured on the page, the length of keyword phrases and how often the pages are updated and the site's structure and age are also relevant.

And Google et al constantly change the rules to deter "black hatting"... And different search engines use different rules...

Anyone who says they can "guarantee" your position is clearly not telling the whole truth. But the training I recently received in-house from a reputable SEO agency about SEO copywriting was very useful. Maybe I should write an article about it and charge a smallish fortune selling it...

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
They are part of BT Jun 24, 2009

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Just a thought, but I doubt this has anything to do with "BT" (although knowing their sales practices I can't be 100% sure).

As their website and quick scout around the old interweb confirm.
There certainly seem to be plenty of people out there who are distinctly disgruntled with them.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
My mistake Charlie Jun 24, 2009

I'm a bit old fashioned (and my very first job was working for the Swedish equivalent of BT - in the state owned/controlled days). This sometimes influences my view of the current incarnations of these kind of entities...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BT Customer Street

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search