Input Needed: Recruiting for In-House Translators in UK
Thread poster: JamesH
Jul 2, 2009

Can anyone suggest some good job boards/forums for recruiting full-time, in-house translors in the UK?

I've had no problems finding places to post ads for freelance translators, but I'm wondering where translators in the UK look for full-time employment opportunities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:30
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi James Jul 5, 2009

Maybe I misunderstand something but why not trying to post a job ad here, at ProZ.com? Just go to Jobs > Post job...

Natalia

P.S. Oh yes, sorry - I have obviously misunderstood your question

[Edited at 2009-07-05 19:51 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
The Guardian Jul 5, 2009

Is a liberal newspaper and its readers are generally reasonably educated. They're usually the first place to consider for any kind of media or marketing related jobs, including those with language requirements.

You'll find their job section at http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/

They don't appear to have a heading for translation/localisation, but I guess most candidates use the search box and enter their language to see what's on offer (that's how I found my current position).

chica nueva
Local time: 16:30
Chinese to English
Trend towards end-users recruiting in-house translators (?) Jul 6, 2009

Hello James H

You are an 'End Customer', right? In my experience, up until now, not many 'end-users/direct clients' have participated in the ProZ forums (but I may be wrong).

Market intelligence: Recently some of the peers have mentioned a possible swing towards end-users recruiting in-house translators, rather than 'contracting-out' to agencies. It would be really interesting (IMO) to know whether this a trend you have observed in the US, either personally or through your networks. I wonder if you could possibly tell us what 'field' you are in, and where you are based, eg East Coast, West Coast etc.

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-07-06 00:36 GMT]

canaria
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
ITI Jul 6, 2009

Why not contact the ITI? www.iti.org.uk

Jenny Moussabel
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Language specific recruitment sites Jul 6, 2009

I've found these two websites really useful in the past when looking for language / translation jobs, they're aimed specificially at linguists looking for full time employment:

http://www.multilingualvacancies.com/
http://www.toplanguagejobs.co.uk/

polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
try the translation/interpretation schools Jul 6, 2009

If I remember rightly, there are courses on offer in places like London, Bath and Bradford (?) but a quick trip round the Internet should tell you. Young (and older) graduates are looking for this sort of thing and they are qualifying right now

mystymy
Local time: 00:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
ITI seems good Jul 6, 2009

Whenever I'm in the UK and decide I might stop there I usually check the local papers and the ITI website. So as another poster suggested ITI might be a good place for you to post an advertisement.

Some companies (LSP and otherwise) in Scotland seem to be looking for in-house more often than those in England or Wales. Mind you this is just an observation of mine when I go looking for permanent posts there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Input Needed: Recruiting for In-House Translators in UK

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search