Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A convenient sidestep... adding Afrikaans overnight to Dutch in my language combinations?
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:26
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2009

The translation-market into Dutch is a rather stable niche-market where some tend to push rates to the low end, but I don't know whether or not people are actually bidding or are venting their gall at the ridiculously low rates of 0.045 $cents or 0.025 eurocent.

Afrikaans is a"daugther" of Dutch, spoken by 6.45 million people, a colourful language which I am perfectly able to understand, except for some colourful expressions own to the language.
So, why shouldn't I should I do like some members of South-African origin and add Afrikaans overnight to my language combinations? A convenient sidestep into an attractive market?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-10 17:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Which direction? Jul 3, 2009

Would that be Afrikaans into English?

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The Petunia syndrome is hard to cure Jul 3, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

God, I would hope not.

SA is a developing country. Does its language really offer such marvelous opportunities compared to related languages that are part of daily business in the EU?

I suppose by this logic the Afrikaans translators should all start doing Dutch and Flemish. Most of them (the ones I have encountered) have better English skills than most of my Dutch friends, too, so I would expect nothing but the best results

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:26
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Sure, Williamson Jul 3, 2009

Sure, Williamson,

Go ahead and add one more language you almost have mastered.

Be prepared, if you thought tanslating into NL-NL was already daunting, translating from Afrikaans into NL-NL is quite another thing. The whole language has become a false friend of current Dutch.

Regards,
Gerard

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:26
English to German
+ ...
Why, certainly! Jul 4, 2009

As soon as the translation samples on the profile page have been proofread and cleaned up.

[sarcasm mode still on]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Afrikaans translators going Dutch Aug 14, 2009

Williamson wrote:
So, why shouldn't I should I do like some members of South-African origin and add Afrikaans overnight to my language combinations? A convenient sidestep into an attractive market?

I assume you're taking a stab at Afrikaans translators suddenly offering Dutch after having read one or two Dutch books or having corresponded with a Dutch pen pal for a month or two or having Dutch ancestry of some kind or having seen a film with Dutch subtitles and thinking... hey, that can't be that difficult. And Dutch pays better than Afrikaans (generally speaking).

I can help myself in spoken Dutch (well, I have to, since most Dutchies who work in shops and other strategic locations where I tend to encounter them don't seem to speak any English). But I'm the first to admit that the chance of mistranslation is perhaps even greater than in unrelated languages. There are so many degrees of faux amis between the languages that I'm surprised it isn't the subject of more masters' theses.

Even words that according to a dictionary have exactly the same meaning may have different ways of using and be appropriate to different situations in the two languages. One example I can quickly think of is "geweldig", which has the same literal meaning in both languages, but which if used as an exclamation or stop-word would be positive in Dutch and negative in Afrikaans.

There are some well-known meaning-shifts that even tourists are told to watch out for. For example, "amper dood" means is good news in Afrikaans but bad news in Dutch; a "kont" is a buttock in Dutch but a clitoris in Afrikaans; "net" means two things in two languages (AF only, NL neat); "verskoon my" is Afrikaans for "excuse me" or "pardon me" but Dutch for "wipe my bottom"; in Afrikaans a man can be "ongesteld" but in Dutch it is a female curse only, etc, etc.

But there are also words that commonly do not make it into the funny-lists. A Dutchie telling about the rocket might find his Afrikaans visitor wondering what all this has to do with tennis.

It goes deeper than this, however. Let's talk about grammer. I find it difficult to tell my Dutch wife (in my allochtoon-Dutch) about an event that happened yesterday because in Afrikaans we use the present tense for such past events, but in Dutch it is simply impossible to do that (or maybe you're about to tell me how to do it...?). Also, to say a complex thing in Dutch, you'd simply use a complex grammatical construct. To say the same complex thing in Afrikaans, without having a complex grammatical construct to "prop you up", could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing.

I would love to read Afrikaans translations (from English) done by Dutchies -- it would be interesting to see what types of errors they make. Afrikaans is a simpler language -- and for that reason also much more difficult.

In fact, I'd love to read some Afrikaans translations from Dutch (or English translations from Afrikaans) done by Dutchies to see where the problem areas lie.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I do Dutch-English Aug 14, 2009

Williamson wrote:
Kevin Lossner wrote:
Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

I suppose by this logic the Afrikaans translators should all start doing Dutch and Flemish. Most of them (the ones I have encountered) have better English skills than most of my Dutch friends, too, so I would expect nothing but the best results

As Afrikaans>English does not sell well, why not just translate from Dutch/Flemish into English?

I make no apologies for the fact that I offer Dutch-English translation, despite the fact that I speak almost no Dutch. And yes, I do it because my English is relatively good and because I have frequent contact with Dutch. I hardly make a profit, though -- much of the money goes straight into the pockets of two proofreaders who are no doubt getting paid to giggle. Maybe I'll drop down to using just one proofreader in three to five years' time.

Oh, and I think clients should know whether their translators are or aren't fluent in the source language.

[Edited at 2009-08-14 10:00 GMT]

Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting... Aug 14, 2009

...but only from an academic point of view, and not for serious business purposes. Like Samuel I'd be curious to read such a translation, but I'd never want to put my name under the delivery mail to the client.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
About Dutch at ZA universities Aug 14, 2009

Interestingly, in the past one could at many ZA universities take Afrikaans-Nederlands as a combined subject. I'm not sure what the subject entailed (as I never went to university) but it used to be a fairly common subject for quite a number of seemingly unrelated subject fields.

Another interesting poinnt is that ZA's legal system is based on Roman-Dutch law. I can only speculate about why, but perhaps it is because South Africa was a Dutch colony for 150 years followed by being a British colony for 100 years (or effectively 150 years if you count to 1948 or 1961).

[Edited at 2009-08-21 08:03 GMT]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
I suspect this is a personal discussion, but... Aug 14, 2009

... as you've posted it in a public forum, I feel free to weigh in.

I would trust someone from South Africa who had passed the IoL DipTrans in Dutch>English to translate a Dutch text into English for me.

I would trust someone whose forum postings display a careful use of their strongest language and evidence of intelligent thought to translate for me.

I would be sceptical if someone claimed to be able to translate INTO Dutch on the basis of being an Afrikaans speaker, but would seek independent verification of such a claim.

I see no reason why someone who translates well from Dutch couldn't become proficient enough in Afrikaans to translate from it (though again, I'd seek independent verification).

Beyond that, it's hard to offer an opinion, because the meaning of the original post is rather opaque.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A convenient sidestep... adding Afrikaans overnight to Dutch in my language combinations?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search