Information on Launching a Translation Website
Thread poster: Mahdi Ghazanfar

Mahdi Ghazanfar
Local time: 15:49
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Jul 5, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I want to start my own business on translation. After some years of translating as a freelancer I think I should launch my own career. for this reason I want to launch a website and start my business.
It would be very kind of you to give me your invaluable comments and mention you useful links.

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sarah Wood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
French to English
Go for it! Jul 6, 2009

Hello Mahdi,

I'm surprised you haven't had any replies yet!

I recently decided to set up a website too. I wanted it to act as a sort of online business card - that can be regularly and quickly updated!

I used an online web hosting company to purchase my domain name and host my site. Once I'd written my site (with the help of the book "Creating Web Sites") I uploaded the files and hey presto - online! It was so easy I wish I'd done it years ago! Because my site is 'homemade' it is quite simple. Perhaps in the future I will pay a professional to create a really smart site - but I have plenty of work already so I'm quite happy in the meantime.

My advice would be to do some research, decide on the purpose of your site, decide on your budget, and then go for it!

Good luck!

Sarah

Mahdi Ghazanfar
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sarah Jul 6, 2009

thank you for you kind reply and also encouragement. this is really part of my business plan. I have conducted a research to know the ABCs. I am surprised too why no one has helped me yet!
many thanks for your kind attention again.

chica nueva
Local time: 23:19
Chinese to English
There is some information on the site ... Jul 8, 2009

Hello Mahdi.

1 Here is an old discussion thread. You might find more information by using 'Forum Search' (at left):
http://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/88244-how_important_is_having_a_website_in_the_translation_industry.html

2 ProZ hosts members' websites. There is info in this Forum:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_hosting-79.html

3 Perhaps, try asking in the Persian Forum ...

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-07-08 09:49 GMT]

Mahdi Ghazanfar
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU Jul 8, 2009

Dear Lesley
it was great! many thanks for the great links.
Yours
Mahdi

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck! Jul 9, 2009

Good luck Mahdi! Let me wish you lots of success in this new endeavour.

As information that could be interesting for other people in Iran, and as it would be interesting to know, can you briefly describe the process of starting a business as a freelancer in Iran? What legal requirements exists? What kind of income or sales taxes do you guys have in Iran?

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:19
French to English
+ ...
Definitely do it-- but be aware of the learning curve Jul 9, 2009

Hi Mahdi--

If you're prepared to put the effort in, the rewards are definitely there. You just need to be aware that to market your web site successfully will take a bit of work and probably mean you have to enter new territory. Some things to think about:

- make the pages of your site simple and practical-- you DON'T need fancy design, but you DO need to avoid "silly" designs (like using silly fonts and colours, putting a pictire of your dog on the site etc...)
- start thinking about what CONTENT you can put on your site to naturally draw traffic to it and improve your search engine rankings (can you put up some vocab pages? history of the languages you translate into?)
- buy local domains in the countries (or at least in the single main country) in which you expect most of your clients to be-- many people are quite patriotic about using the country-local version of Google/Yahoo etc, so it'll be easier to get higher up in the search results if you have a "local" site
- start learning about Search Engine Optimization (SEO)-- it's a big topic, and unfortunately, like marketing in general, SEO literature is full of an awful lot of useless bluff in and among the few bits of useful information-- but there ARE one or two useful things you need to be aware of
- learn about Google Adwords and (possibly) other advertising/web site marketing schemes; again, you enter a whole murky world of search term optimisation, optimising of advertising...
- learn about other "webmaster tools" like Google Analytics that will help you optimise your site to get more potential customers visiting it and find out about which pages of your site they visited (and thus give you information on what your customers are looking for)

In and amongst that, you have to learn about all the other things that a good agency does for you without you realising (being diplomatic with awkward clients, negotiating prices, protecting yourself against non-payment etc).

But... the rewards ARE there if you work at it. The time that you need to invest will eventually be saved when you reach the point where clients are "just handing you work" and where there's no middle-man taking a cut of the profits.

[Edited at 2009-07-09 05:46 GMT]

Mahdi Ghazanfar
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lack of information Jul 9, 2009

hi,

I really don't know very much about these requirements. I am currently gaining information on practical and technical aspects of website designing, things like the costs, suppport, site name, etc. what you mentioned is very interesting and also very important that I had forgotten to investigate.
Thank you! I should add it to my plan too.

Best Wishes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Information on Launching a Translation Website

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search