Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What made you become a translator in the first place ?
Thread poster: Maria-Letitia Chiculita (X)
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Time Aug 5, 2009

I actually was attracted to the idea of translating long before becoming involved in it. I had already acquired a superior knowledge of both my languages and good balance; that is, there was not much that I could discuss in one language that I could not discuss equally well in the other. I knew I had the ingredients for sucess; however, the reality was that back then I could see no employment opportunities at all in the field so I had to shelve the idea.

Eventually an opportunity di
... See more
I actually was attracted to the idea of translating long before becoming involved in it. I had already acquired a superior knowledge of both my languages and good balance; that is, there was not much that I could discuss in one language that I could not discuss equally well in the other. I knew I had the ingredients for sucess; however, the reality was that back then I could see no employment opportunities at all in the field so I had to shelve the idea.

Eventually an opportunity did arise to start working, but on a part-time basis only for many years while I was steadily employed in another job. This allowed me to hone my skills, while at the same time the market developed. All told it took about 15 years to become independent. That was 23 years ago and I have never looked back.

All I can say is that it took a lot of time.
Collapse

Kata Koncz
Kata Koncz  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
English to Hungarian
freedom Aug 5, 2009

Love of languages, sure, but for me the most important reason is to be able to escape "normal" workplaces and be free. And yes, translation is what I love doing - when and where I want...

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Love for languages, travelling and portable office Aug 5, 2009

I was always really interested in languages and passionate about other cultures. I had been living in Italy for about 3 years and spoke Italian more or less fluently by that stage. My parents were living in Norway and England, I was constantly travelling back and forth to visit them and I loved the idea of working from home, having the opportunity to take my laptop with me wherever I wanted to go and being able to work anywhere. And with the current employment situation for young people in It... See more
I was always really interested in languages and passionate about other cultures. I had been living in Italy for about 3 years and spoke Italian more or less fluently by that stage. My parents were living in Norway and England, I was constantly travelling back and forth to visit them and I loved the idea of working from home, having the opportunity to take my laptop with me wherever I wanted to go and being able to work anywhere. And with the current employment situation for young people in Italy being what it was (and still is) I thought the freelance option was the best for me to be able to live in Italy and also move around to other countries, learning other languages and living other cultures and not having to quit a job and find a new one everytime. As it happens I am on "holiday" in Italy (as I currently reside in Spain) and I am sitting at a friend's house, working away.

That said, my move to Spain last year with my laptop in tow meant that I actually haven't integrated very well with Spanish lifestyle, I haven't made so many Spanish friends due to my working from home and not working, say, in an office with other Spanish people. I hadn't realised just how solitary freelance was, but despite this I wouldn't change it for the world. It feels nice to be in control, work for myself and I find I actually work a lot better and harder knowing that I am the only one who can make my business work. It's all down to me and if I succeed, that's very satisfying.

It's been lovely to read everyone's stories!
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 01:09
English to Greek
+ ...
Coup de foudre... Aug 5, 2009

I remember myself at around 16 wondering and worrying what I should choose to study and practise later on as a career. I liked many things, but not so much as to devote my life to them. The only field that seemed to attract me was languages. Still, I hadn't thought of translation as a career, but of teaching, and I need to say that I wasn't at all happy at this prospect. Then, suddenly, one day a classmate told me that she intended to study translation. It was apocalypse for me. From the very mo... See more
I remember myself at around 16 wondering and worrying what I should choose to study and practise later on as a career. I liked many things, but not so much as to devote my life to them. The only field that seemed to attract me was languages. Still, I hadn't thought of translation as a career, but of teaching, and I need to say that I wasn't at all happy at this prospect. Then, suddenly, one day a classmate told me that she intended to study translation. It was apocalypse for me. From the very moment that she uttered the word "translation" I knew that this was what I wanted to do. Based on languages, but not necessarily a theoretic field (I am not a fan of theory, I have always preferred practice). So, two years later I saw myself a freshman at the translation faculty of a local university, and I went on to graduate and do a master's course and make a career out of this love. And guess what: if I could be 16 again, I would do the same thing...

Another good question would be: what makes you want to continue being a translator?
- freedom
- independence
- flexibility
- work environment
- love for technology
- getting to know new things
- financial reasons

I 'm sure someone could add even more to this list
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:09
English to French
Survival Aug 5, 2009

I signed for a warehouse man job in London after months of unemployment in France following my degree in physics.
My best decision ever, and it wasn't an easy one to make because I was safe and well-fed at my mother's.

Had I stayed in France, I wouldn't speak English properly, wouldn't be living in Morocco, wouldn't have known the English community and wouldn't have even remotely considered this as a real job.

And maybe I would still be on the dole.

... See more
I signed for a warehouse man job in London after months of unemployment in France following my degree in physics.
My best decision ever, and it wasn't an easy one to make because I was safe and well-fed at my mother's.

Had I stayed in France, I wouldn't speak English properly, wouldn't be living in Morocco, wouldn't have known the English community and wouldn't have even remotely considered this as a real job.

And maybe I would still be on the dole.

Philippe
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 18:09
Member (2003)
French to English
I love translating Aug 5, 2009

I always had a love and a talent for languages, particularly French, and after having spent some time overseas years ago, when I got home I was determined to use it. I got a job at a small private language center and was in charge of the language studies, though there was a lot of interaction with the interpreting and translation services part of the business. I was naturally drawn to translation and have been doing freelance translation work (and involved in translation associations/conferenc... See more
I always had a love and a talent for languages, particularly French, and after having spent some time overseas years ago, when I got home I was determined to use it. I got a job at a small private language center and was in charge of the language studies, though there was a lot of interaction with the interpreting and translation services part of the business. I was naturally drawn to translation and have been doing freelance translation work (and involved in translation associations/conferences, etc.) ever since, though things picked up significantly once I got my Certificate from NYU.Collapse

James McVay
James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Russian to English
+ ...
Seduced by the prospect of an easy job Aug 5, 2009

I've long thought this would be a good topic to start but never had the time . . .

I won't recite all the little things that led me to this occupation, but here's what I've always thought of as the defining moment.

In 1962 I was studying Russian at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California. Our first class each day was dialogue, an exercise in regurgitating a memorized conversation with a partner -- and they were always boring. I usually took my first look
... See more
I've long thought this would be a good topic to start but never had the time . . .

I won't recite all the little things that led me to this occupation, but here's what I've always thought of as the defining moment.

In 1962 I was studying Russian at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, California. Our first class each day was dialogue, an exercise in regurgitating a memorized conversation with a partner -- and they were always boring. I usually took my first look at the dialogue of the day 15 minutes before class started. Then one day the dialogue changed my life.

Q: "And where do you work?"

A: "I work at headquarters as a translator."

That seemed like the perfect job. Surely a translator working at headquarters would never have to sleep on the ground or carry a rifle. It took me about ten years, a return to college, and a change of major, but I finally got a full-time job working as a staff translator.

I grew up in a small town where the only person interested in foreign languages was the high school Latin teacher. I think she may also have been the only person who knew any language other than English. So I didn't have much in the way of role models.

My goal during during high school was to study physics in college -- nobody in my family had ever been to college -- but guess what I was good at . . .
Collapse

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Escape... Aug 6, 2009

Teaching is almost exclusively sought after/available for women in Saudi, especially few years ago. I didn't want to be a teacher, by all means. Before I graduate, I was surfing the Internet looking for any full-time job other than teaching. Then I thought about translation. Translation class has always been my favorite though I never thought of becoming a translator, probably because there were almost no translation jobs around. I literally discovered the world of freelance translation and the ... See more
Teaching is almost exclusively sought after/available for women in Saudi, especially few years ago. I didn't want to be a teacher, by all means. Before I graduate, I was surfing the Internet looking for any full-time job other than teaching. Then I thought about translation. Translation class has always been my favorite though I never thought of becoming a translator, probably because there were almost no translation jobs around. I literally discovered the world of freelance translation and the ability to work from home and actually make money.
I love translation, I love to work at home, and I love to be paid per project. It's the perfect job for me.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:09
Flemish to English
+ ...
I sold my soul to the company store Aug 6, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Another good question would be: what makes you want to continue being a translator?
- freedom
- independence
- flexibility
- work environment
- love for technology
- getting to know new things
- financial reasons

Going back to "the other side" and sell my soul to the company store without the necessary knowledge and tools (MBA from Ivvy League or FT-top 20) to climb the company hierarchy is not very inviting tempting. Besides, I am too old for a career in an hierarchy with a career ladder.
Freedom: You are free to work against the clock.
Flexibility: You can refuse assignements and stay in bed. In countries with high taxes and high social security contributions, you enjoy less flexibility. Income or no income, you have pay the taxes and contributions. In the case of the UK, these are fair, but in the case of the champions of taxes like Belgium and France, you have to have your 500-600 euros ready every quarter.
Love for technology: not particularly.
Getting to know new things: Not particularly, if you get to know too many things, your risk to become "threadbare".
Financial reasons: it earns more than the average secretarial and administrative job or low level managerial job.
Other: translating both ways is a good exercise for interpreting.

[Edited at 2009-08-06 11:04 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
shift of values Aug 6, 2009

Translation as а job in the background of 'career' jobs became a foreground and finally 'career" job in terms of income. So, I shifted.
Plus I became reluctant to work in hierarchical environments of traditional 'career' jobs, preferring peer-to-peer or no relations...
So a freelancer I am now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What made you become a translator in the first place ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »