Innovative use of social networking or questionable practice?
Thread poster: lefoque

lefoque
United States
Local time: 17:37
French to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2009

I recently received a request from a company to follow them on twitter and facebook. Being curious as to how they might make use of these Internet social tools, I consented. Today I received an invitation to participate in an event. Basically, they are asking translators to select 1 of 4 translations of a poem from English to French. First, I would be more comfortable judging a literary translation from French to English as English is my mother tongue. Now, it's only one paragraph and maybe I'm just suspicious by nature but I'm not entirely comfortable with this. If it's just a contest and a new way to engage your vendors, I'm all for it but I'm seeing other possibilities here. What do you guys think:is this a new, innovative way for companies and freelancers to interact or something else?

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:37
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What will they do with it Aug 8, 2009

I think it all depends on what use they will get out of this poem, is it something that will generate revenue for them or make their web site more interesting and therefore atrract customers? If so then they should be willing to pay for it.

Translation unfortunately is not considered a "job" bt many people and they don't realize that this is the same as asking web designers to program for free or graphic artists to do your design for free.

Such is the life of a translator.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:37
Flemish to English
+ ...
Free translation. Aug 8, 2009

The social networks -who do not "have any capital" (who designed these websites?)are trying to get their webpages translated for free.
Those participating in the translation will get their names mentioned somewhere on the networks. I would not be suprised that this is another way to look for pro bono translators.

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
Not quite, in this case Aug 8, 2009

Williamson wrote:

The social networks -who do not "have any capital" (who designed these websites?)are trying to get their webpages translated for free.

Hi Victor,

...some social networks, that's true (LinkedIn being a prime case, although I would severely question the fact about their having "no capital").

If you received such a request from a Twitter or FB participant then it will come from that participant.

All you need say is either no (or for that matter do nothing at all!)

Sure, there are a lot of spammers on e.g. Twitter but you do not have to "follow" them and indeed you also have the option to "block" them if you lose interest or have misgivings.

HTH
Cheers,
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Innovative use of social networking or questionable practice?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search