Confidentiality and Government snooping
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:15
Spanish to English
Aug 11, 2009

This is not a new issue, but I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

I was just reading this article

"Government plans to outsource official spying, forcing communication service providers like BT to retain personal communications data – records of all phonecalls, emails, texts and internet connections – have been severely criticised by the industry expected to do ministers dir
... See more
This is not a new issue, but I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

I was just reading this article

"Government plans to outsource official spying, forcing communication service providers like BT to retain personal communications data – records of all phonecalls, emails, texts and internet connections – have been severely criticised by the industry expected to do ministers dirty work for them."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/henryporter/2009/aug/03/spy-email-record-snooping

and I couldn't help wondering how this affects our clients. I mean, in reality most espionage is industrial espionage and surely these policies -the article is about the UK but obviously this is a worldwide trend - mean all the confidentiality agreements in the world will not keep our clients business safe.

I'd be interested in other people's opinions
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Confidentiality agreements are fairly meaningless Aug 11, 2009

In the face of a government's intention to monitor all electronic activity, I believe that most of the the confidentiality agreements we sign are fairly meaningless. We can promise not to willingly disclose information, but we cannot promise to protect information - unless we forswear the internet or invest in serious encryption.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confidentiality and Government snooping

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »