Website of an LSP up for sale
Thread poster: Anil Gidwani

Anil Gidwani  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:22
German to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2009

What do you make of this statement on the website of an agency?

"This website including the domains .com / .co.uk / .de are up for sale. Contact us at info@xxx.com if interested."

Would you take up work with this client?

I must confess I would do so with trepidation. I simply don't know what to make of it. Perhaps it is a mistake, and this self-incriminating statement on its own website should be brought to the attention of the LSP.

[Edited at 2009-08-19 10:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:52
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Doubts are justified Aug 19, 2009

I think you should ask the company. Of course a domain can expire because of a lazy webmaster, but a message stating that the domain "including the domains .com / .co.uk / .de are up for sale" will probably need to be added manually.

Which suggests they're getting rid of their assets...

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:52
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Insolvency proceedings? Aug 19, 2009

Hi Anil,

It might be a good idea to inquire if the company has become insolvent, which might be the reason why this statement was added. Refer to the register of companies or a similar service depending on the country in which the agency is based.

Ted Wozniak, the owner of the Payment Practices list, may also be able to provide background information -> http://www.paymentpractices.net/Contact.aspx

Best regards,
Steffen

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it might be a mistake Aug 19, 2009

This happens to be on the website of a company with all 5's on the BB. The company is run by someone who is a regular contributor to the forums and has a good number of WWAs as well.

I'll take this up with them. Seeing that I've quoted on one of their postings, my action would probably be taken in the right spirit.

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
English to German
Things can change almost over night Aug 19, 2009

Anil Gidwani wrote:

This happens to be on the website of a company with all 5's on the BB. The company is run by someone who is a regular contributor to the forums and has a good number of WWAs as well.

I'll take this up with them. Seeing that I've quoted on one of their postings, my action would probably be taken in the right spirit.

I'm afraid that's not necessarily enough to be sure they're still solvent. Things can change almost over night and companies can go bankrupt for all sorts of reasons. Lack of clients and projects is not always the issue, sometimes the opposite is the case and if the cashflow becomes unstable a really busy company can go under.

I'd check things out before accepting work from them.

India
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it could be approaching insolvency after all Aug 21, 2009

Hi Steffen, Rebekka,

Another reason for such a statement could have been that the company's website was hacked.

However, you could be right, and the company is quite possibly heading towards bankruptcy. The agency failed to reply when I brought this statement on its website to its notice. This rules out the possibility that their website was hacked.

I've found two other agencies recently during marketing where a) the web site domain is no longer reachable b) the web site is reachable but not functioning. Both are well-established companies with excellent ratings on the BB. Shows there's all the more reason to do a thorough check of all sources first.

Fortunately, the BB appears to be updated if insolvency proceedings are actually underway. Take a look at the BB listing for TransXpress.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website of an LSP up for sale

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search