Valérie Lapotre (X)
Valérie Lapotre (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:00
English to French
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

Hi,

One client is asking me to provide a rate for audio translation. I have read on one of the forums that the best way to go about it is to ask the client for a sample of the audio file and calculate the amount of work/words involved per minute. However they cannot provide a sample as yet, only need a price from me to bid.
Any clue? Should I calculate an hourly fee + 50%?
Many thanks!!
Valerie

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
audio translation: two steps Aug 25, 2009

Hi Valérie,
By audio translation I understand that you need to do 2 things:
1. Write down the text as you hear it, in the source language
2. Translate it.

In other words your client needs both transcription and translation. So I would charge for both services. For translation you'll charge your normal rate. For transcription you can charge per hour, but the total time really depends on the quality of the audio file; if the audio duration is one hour, it may ta
... See more
Hi Valérie,
By audio translation I understand that you need to do 2 things:
1. Write down the text as you hear it, in the source language
2. Translate it.

In other words your client needs both transcription and translation. So I would charge for both services. For translation you'll charge your normal rate. For transcription you can charge per hour, but the total time really depends on the quality of the audio file; if the audio duration is one hour, it may take you from 3 hours to 5 hours to transcribe it. Maybe you can give your client a range or an average price.

Maria
Collapse

Valérie Lapotre (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 25, 2009

Thank you Maria, it sounds like a very good idea))

Md Abu Alam
Md Abu Alam  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 13:00
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
charge of audio translation Aug 25, 2009

I think- as the task involves both transcription and translation, you should charge summing the both. Further, I'd like to advise you to have the sample audio as it's very difficult to transcribe from a low quality audio source file. Besides, you should know the audio format for your flexibility of working, because someone may send files of an audio format which you can't open with your available audio players.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Transcribing Aug 25, 2009

Yes, you do not want to charge any flat rate for transcribing. Three to five times run time can be very optimistic, and you do not know the quality of the recording. It could be terrible. Thus, you would charge by the hour.

A good alternative is not to do the transcribing yourself at all. If you can find a good transcriber, their time often costs a good bit less than a translator's time (your time), and they have the proper equipment for doing the job. Trying to do it without proper
... See more
Yes, you do not want to charge any flat rate for transcribing. Three to five times run time can be very optimistic, and you do not know the quality of the recording. It could be terrible. Thus, you would charge by the hour.

A good alternative is not to do the transcribing yourself at all. If you can find a good transcriber, their time often costs a good bit less than a translator's time (your time), and they have the proper equipment for doing the job. Trying to do it without proper equipment is like wading through mud. Plus if your hearing is not so good it can be difficult.

Those are my recommendations.
Collapse

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 02:00
Greek to English
+ ...
Nope. Aug 25, 2009

My fiancee is a professional transcriber and certified court reporter. 100-120 words per minute.

For the average subscription she received lately, it took her 5-6 hrs to transcribe it (with professional equipment, foot pedal etc).
Some files with duration of one hour contained 7-9 thousand words.

It also depends on how fast they talk, etc.

You do the math.

Valérie Lapotre (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Aug 25, 2009

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:

My fiancee is a professional transcriber and certified court reporter. 100-120 words per minute.

For the average subscription she received lately, it took her 5-6 hrs to transcribe it (with professional equipment, foot pedal etc).
Some files with duration of one hour contained 7-9 thousand words.

It also depends on how fast they talk, etc.

You do the math.

Very informative and impressive!! You're perfectly right when you say it depends on how fast they speak. I will need to send a quote but I will add that any extra time spent on the transcribing will be charged...
Thank you all for your very precious advice))

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I've updated my article Aug 25, 2009

The updated version is here:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/audio_-_en.html

... originally published in the Tranaslation Journal and Proz.

A few things there might be useful for you.

Barbara Thomas
Barbara Thomas
United States
Local time: 03:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rates for audio translation Aug 27, 2009

Thanks for posting your article.

I've had a number of unpleasant experiences with transcription with/without translation. Lately I've been referring clients to transcription services as a more economical option although I am always willing to proof the transcription at my hourly rate.

The problem has arisen with my transcription speed and hourly service rates. I'm not particularly fast and I don't have sophisticated equipment, which means that it takes me anywhere from
... See more
Thanks for posting your article.

I've had a number of unpleasant experiences with transcription with/without translation. Lately I've been referring clients to transcription services as a more economical option although I am always willing to proof the transcription at my hourly rate.

The problem has arisen with my transcription speed and hourly service rates. I'm not particularly fast and I don't have sophisticated equipment, which means that it takes me anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes to transcribe one minute of voice recording. Usually that comes out to about 8-15 euros a minute, which most clients understandably find horrendous.

I use professional transcribers myself, but because of the nature of the material that I receive (medical/pharmaceutical), I always have to proof it. Depending on the source language, the price still comes to 5-9 euros a minute.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for audio translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »