Is there a translation SILLY SEASON?
Thread poster: Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Local time: 18:49
Polish to English
Aug 27, 2009

I came across an article on http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/ about the phrase "silly season" and it got me thinking about the life of freelance translators...

I asked myself these questions, which I now ask all of you:
(1) Do we have a silly season, that is a time of year where there is little going on?
(2) Is this silly season different in different countries?... See more
I came across an article on http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/ about the phrase "silly season" and it got me thinking about the life of freelance translators...

I asked myself these questions, which I now ask all of you:
(1) Do we have a silly season, that is a time of year where there is little going on?
(2) Is this silly season different in different countries?
(3) What do you all do at this time? Go on holiday? Search for new clients? Anything else?

I found the article at:
http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/translating-in-the-silly-season/
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 12:49
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

I rarely find a lull in work Aug 27, 2009

at any time of year, although I usually expect them, but many translators take their holidays during the dog days of summer and the end-of-year festivities, creating more work for those who don't. What I do find, however, is a silly season for accounts payable departments - usually two, in January and again in August.

Nancy

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No silly season? Aug 28, 2009

Nancy,

Does that mean there is a lull in payments in Jan and Aug?

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
January Aug 28, 2009

I often have tons of work in December and consequently January is slow.
What I do? Breathe!

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translation hiatus Aug 28, 2009

Vera,

I know exactly what you mean.
Do you usually go on holiday in January? What do you do (apart from catch your breath)?

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Yes, lull in payments Aug 28, 2009

The accountants seem to disappear those two months - not all, of course, but a good number, enough for me to notice this trend over the past few years.

Nancy

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Payment Lull Aug 28, 2009

Nancy,

Does it mean you have to wait longer for payments?

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Yep Aug 28, 2009

I find a good number of the agencies I work with simply don't issue payments in these months, due to "holidays". The payments are doubled up the following month.

N.

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
No vacation in January! Aug 28, 2009

Well, this year there was no vacation at all in the cards for me, just a lot of work (not complaining!). But a vacation in January is unpractical for many reasons. December is an expensive month with X-mas and New Year, and its cold and unpleasant. No, I hoover in front of the computer and hope for work....

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
First part of January, first part of August Aug 28, 2009

This is where I find the most quiet time in front of my computer.

It seems that after the holiday rush where everyone suddenly remembered to have something done, and nearly all translators were gone on holiday (meaning loads more work for me), they are all too exhausted to send out any work in these two periods.

Maybe they are simply too busy sorting out the massive mess of work that has not been taken care of while half the staff was on holiday, and they simply don't
... See more
This is where I find the most quiet time in front of my computer.

It seems that after the holiday rush where everyone suddenly remembered to have something done, and nearly all translators were gone on holiday (meaning loads more work for me), they are all too exhausted to send out any work in these two periods.

Maybe they are simply too busy sorting out the massive mess of work that has not been taken care of while half the staff was on holiday, and they simply don't have time to take much work in? I don't know.

Or maybe they feel like many others that after a holiday away with the family and kids, you really need a break - so you go to work

That's for Denmark, anyway.

And yes, no payments i January and August, I feel that too :-/

Oh, and - I take care of some of the many, many things I should have taken care of around and about the house. Stitching or glueing toys back together, putting old toys away and finding "new" toys in stead, mending the fences for the sheep and cows etc. etc.
...and every now and then I check my e-mail, of course.

[Edited at 2009-08-28 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
strange... Aug 28, 2009

For me June - July is generally very slow, and then Augst is a killer month again...
I used to have some time to breath in the first quarter of the year, but it seems nowadays my clients seems to plan big projects in those periods too!...

Ed

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
January and August Aug 28, 2009

It seems that Jan and Aug seem to be the two sluggish months or the time where payment is deferred.

What do you all do with any spare time that you have?

Original article:
http://transubstantiation.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/translating-in-the-silly-season/

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
busy summer Aug 28, 2009

I had quite a busy summer.. and at the beginning of this month, some clients asked me if I was going on holiday, which wasn't the case, so they gave me a couple of projects to keep me busy while they were relaxing on the beach.
It's actually strange: when I don't have work, I worry if I'll get work again, and when I'm busy I'm hoping for a couple of quiet days, which turn out to be stressful, because I'm worried about the silence.
Overall, I don't experience slow periods around the s
... See more
I had quite a busy summer.. and at the beginning of this month, some clients asked me if I was going on holiday, which wasn't the case, so they gave me a couple of projects to keep me busy while they were relaxing on the beach.
It's actually strange: when I don't have work, I worry if I'll get work again, and when I'm busy I'm hoping for a couple of quiet days, which turn out to be stressful, because I'm worried about the silence.
Overall, I don't experience slow periods around the same time every year.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
right now! Aug 28, 2009

the end of august has been quiet...most people go on vacation for most of august. I also havent' gotten very many cheques recently and am expecting a few really huge cheques for work i did in july. But i know a lot of my clients are on vacation and so are THEIR clients, etc etc.

Last year early december was very slow, but I worked all through Xmas to make up for it.

Raf Uzar
Raf Uzar
Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Spare time Aug 29, 2009

Maaike, I know the feeling! I react exactly the same way.
So what do you do with this spare time?

Marlene, same question. Do you do anything linguistically- or career-oriented when you have spare time?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a translation SILLY SEASON?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »